Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Non Union surgery success

Im Liz and Im new here.
I had two back surgery's (one fusion) 20 years ago. In the last year I have had unbearable pain and doctors have found that my fusion has broken and I now have a non union or pseudoarthorsis and they recommend surgery.
I have tried everything else and am getting worse.
Has anyone had successful non union surgery?
Many thanks

• Liz:

Welcome to the forum.

I had a two level fusion (L4-S1) in January 2011. Technically, I have fused because I had two very tiny points where the bone has formed a contact; however, I don't feel like I have fused and my physical stature does not indicate a fusion (I list forward with a significant lean that increases as the day progresses).

Anyway, enough about me. I only shared that to make a point. I have had personal interest in revision surgeries for the past year and what I did was a simple search on this forum and it led me to several different threads (previous posts) where members had discussed the very subject. Do that and see what type of info you get. Also, it will only be a short matter of time before someone responds to this post.

Another point I would like to make is that the surgical procedures have improved so much since you had your surgery. You will be amazed, so that's a ray of hope.

Again, welcome to the forum and good luck.

• Hi biz

Yes, I had a successful redo of a failed fusion on L5-S1. Non-union really hurt and the repeat surgery (which was a 360 degree procedure) took care of the pain. Full recovery was about a year and now at 18 months out I can again do some sport, take a 10 mile hike, pick up my grandson and have been able to work full days from 3 months out.

My surgeon insisted on using my own bone for the grafts to give the fusion the best chance to take and I was in a hard brace for 3 months too.

Good luck! It does get better.
  • Thanks Emily and Jim. Hearing your success Emily does give me hope.
  • I guess there is no such thing as a low-invasive revision even if it is only on one segment. I'm fused T2-T8 all of which fused, but T5 cracked and ctscans show a slight gap and the skeletal pain is back. I'm 9 months post op and the thought of going through revision surgery and fresh surgical pain makes this grown man consider crying. Especially when there is no guarantee they will make it better and could possibly make it worse.