Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just a little down today

Hi all. Well saw the doc yesterday and again not real happy with the visit. I am now almost 10 weeks post-op L5S1 microD. Saw doc 2 weeks ago for a follow up. Told him I was still exp some sciatic pain although not nearly as bad as pre-op. So he put me on neuorntin and set a 2 week appt. So that was yesterday, he now wants me to wean off the neurontin & see him again 1 week. I am upset about this for a few reasons. Why even put me on the neuro? For one it actually helped not only for the pain but also as an anti-anxiety/depressant, now I am not gonna have that. Also the pain was not that bad, why not have me keep on the cocktails I was on for the time being. And I am about sick of driving out there & missing time at work. I already have to miss enough for PT, i am trying to get back to 40 hrs per week.

I do feel that I have a better grasp on my recovery & the acceptance of the slow recovery. I hope that alone lessens the anxiety & depression. But as usual I am scared that it will return as I wean off of this.

You all know how long & slow & dragging all these back problems can be. I am considering seeing my regular doctor to keep this anxiety under control. Also, should I be moving back to pain mngmt at this point and away from the surgeon? It is all so exhausting.

About the only good thing I can take from yesterdays appt is that my PT restrictions have been lifted & that the doc said everything I am feeling is normal. Although I pretty much knew that it does not hurt to hear it again.

Now I just gotta be sure to take it slow & steady now that restrictions have been lifted. looking forward to a swim at the gym this weekend.

Thanks for listening!
L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!

• I had my discectomy in 2008 and he put me on all that stuff because I was still having pain , it takes the pain a long time to heal or settle down, mine did not work me so be really careful what you do , after my surgery the pain was worse because I blew the same disc right back out again..Give it some time and hopefully you will heal the right way:)
  • One thing that I was cautioned about was that Neurontin can further affect those who do suffer from depression. My wife has told me that she did, when I started on it in July, sink lower into a depression.

It can be rough stuff. Last week I forgot to take it one day, and the nerve pain in the foot was unbearable. When I took one the following morning the world spun all day.
  • ben_indianabben_indiana Posts: 288
    edited 11/14/2012 - 2:58 AM
    I actually think the neurontin helped my depression greatly. The thing I am noticing already when extending periods between pills is a nasty headache setting in.

The roller coaster is non stop. Feeling pretty darn good today after a good PT session yesterday. For some reason Tuesdays always seem to be my worst day of the week instead of Mondays. This goes back to even before my sciatica. Tuesdays just plain suck!

Thanks for the replies!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!