Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi everyone!
I am in recovery from my first surgery ever, which happens to be a C6/7 fusion with autograft. Had my surgery last Thursday.
Feeling pretty tender still, as I'm sure I should. It does seem a bit odd to me though, that I am starting to feel worse now that I did the first couple days out of the hospital.
I really just wanted to stop and say hi, and that I really enjoy reading all that I can about what I should be expecting during my recovery. As of now, I am on Percocet 5-325, Vistaril, and taking a calcium suppliment along with a mens daily vitamin. I am unsure what the maximum number of the Percocets I can take, but I am taking between 6-8 a day to cope with the pain.
Any advise would be appreciated with stretches I can do, or other pain relief ideas anyone has.
C-6/7 fused. Sever lumbar and cervical degeneration.

• alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 11/13/2012 - 3:57 PM
    It should say on the bottle how many should be taken Mike, Or call dr how many is ok to take, Soon after surgery always gets worse before it gets beter, Just like our economy,

Best of luck on your recovery, Takes long time to heal so just do as dr says and by the time pt starts hopefuly you be needing less meds, Not worth going too high on the meds as once body gets use to it then nothing will help,
    No pain no gain
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I am a nurse, and it is very common to feel great right after surgery and the first couple of days, surprising yourself how you can feel so good- then it hits you the third day. I think it's a combination of anesthesia wearing off, having more help at hospital. getting home means you're bound to do more. Be careful with the percocet- no one should have more that 3000mg of acetominophen per day, can cause liver damage to have too much. can't recall amount in percocet. 6-8 over a 24hr period sounds about right, but try to wean down gradually- there is an epidemic of folks getting addicted to presciption narcotics, it's a slippery slope. I wish you the best
  • Good luck to you! I had the same exact thing done on October 15th. I took Percocet also cause the Norco they gave me after surgery gave me migraines. I'm only allowed two Percocet a day though. I've been pain med free for 5 days now and had gotten down to one a day before. After surgery I felt pretty good but a few days later the pain set in. Is the pain in your neck? Mine was mostly my upper back and shoulder areas. I think from holding your neck so straight and perfect it pulls all your muscles. How do you sleep? Do you lay down? Did you get a soft or hard collar?
    C-6 C-7 Cervical Spinal Fusion October 15, 2012
  • had my surgery about 12 weeks ago... and i feel worse than before. I am taking more meds now than i was before the op, which in my mind does not make sense..
    i know that i am fusing well... but my upper back seems to be in spasm a lot and i have a lot of nerve pain up my right shoulder blade and into my shoulder... i have almost perfect movement in my arm (apart from putting on my coat) but turning my neck / head in the right direction is pretty sore. i think because it is going on so long (over 13months) that i am starting to feel a bit depressed, tho i hate that word..... should i mention this to my consultant or go to my Gp?

Hope 2013 is better for us all :)
  • As mentioned here often, what we think is an unrelated symptom is really important for our doctors diagnosis.
  • welshladywwelshlady Posts: 121
    edited 11/22/2012 - 10:49 PM
    Hi Mike, i had two cages, top plate and 6 screws in may this year.. came out of hosp next day!! didnt use morphine pump in hosp as i prefer pain to feeling ill and drugged, so came home thinking i would be back to work in a week or so... i was ready about 4 MONTHS later! pain really kicked in on day 5 post op, but at most i only take two amytriptaline, 2 codeine and 2 paracetamol at night, and whenever possible i go to one codiene or even none if i think i can sleep despite the pain. unfortunately for me the weekend before i had organised to get back to work, my lower back gave up on me, surgeon thinks it will be another op needed so still not back at work! (self employed so not earning, not much fun!) good luck with your recovery, my surgeon said the best thing to do is walk preferably walk in water! (that might be to help the myleopathy though!)
  • Well, I am about 4 weeks post op now! I returned to work 2 weeks after surgery, just to get out of the house. Light duty with rest every hour, no lifting, yada yada yada! ;) As of now, I am taking 2 or 3 Hydrocodones a day. Still getting a bit of pain from hip area where they did the bone graft! Neck is feeling pretty good now, still a fair bit of muscle spasms, but thankfully my wife is a saint, and gives the BEST massages! Go back on the 26th for my 6 week, and hoping to be released back to full duty!!
    It is so much better than what it was! I haven't had a headache in weeks now, and the shooting pain down the arm is gone!
  • MikeN

Really geat to hear about your success so far. Your wife sounds like she's pampering you.

All the best for your 6 week appt.

By thruway, was the op from front or back?
  • They went in through the front! Have a nice scar, which I do not mind!! My daughter thinks it cool. And its a reminder to never over do it at work again! Like I said before, so far, so good! Now if I could get my gout to tame down! Having one of the WORST flare ups, ever! :( LOL I'll be alright. Sad thing is, I hardly ever drink beer now, and I think that as a family, we eat really good. I could see when I first started getting it, yeah, I probably earned it, but now, man, WTH?