Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discogram 11/1/2012

I have been reading your posts and am fearful and excited at the same time. I want my life back. I hope surgery can give it back- eventually. L5-S1, L4-L5. Annular tear with leakage. Was told it will never go away. Never heal. Pills, shots , pt and so on and so for the last 3 years. Dr . Is talking about a 360. I am seeing him in two weeks to plan the surgery.
What are the top 3 questions I should ask him?

• brvsfan99bbrvsfan99 Posts: 113
    edited 11/14/2012 - 10:30 AM
    Fawney, here is a list of questions that I took with me to my surgeon when we were in the surgery planning stage. My surgeon actually took the list and went through the everything on it and gave reason on why he did or didn't do certain things. Whatever you do, make sure you get all your questions answered. I had a 360 done at L5/S1 on 10/29/12. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

What kind of surgery and where will it be done?
    • Fusion (how many levels 1 or 2, bone grafts)
    o Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (ALIF)
    o Anterior/Posterior Lumbar (95% success)
    o Minimally Invasive Anterior Approach
    o Posterior Dynamic Stabilization Systems
    o Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF/TLIF)
    o eXtreme Lateral Interbody Fusion (XLIF)
    • Discectomy (removal of part of disc)
    • Laminectomy (decompression)
    • Artificial Disc Replacement
    What is the surgery process?
    What are the benefits of the surgery (stabilization, pain relief)? How long will the benefits last?
    What are the risks?
    What is the overall success rate? What is the chance that I will have to undergo another surgery?
    How many of these surgeries have you done? What is your success rate?
    What is the recovery time?
    • How much time in the hospital?
    • How much time before I can return to work?
    • When can I start PT?
    • Will I have to wear a brace?
    • What restrictions will I have and how long will I have them?
    • When can I go back to the gym, when can I get into the pool, and when can I get back to my normal routine?
    • When will the fusion be complete?

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis