Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 weeks down and 3 to go

I have just finished my 3rd week of IV antibiotic treatment for osteomylitis and have 3 to go. The infectious disease Dr told me he thinks he can get me safely thru lumbar surgery. THINKS??????????? Has anyone else out here had a infection then went into surgery for fusion at the same location? I am not quite sure the risk is one I want to take. The first time I saw the infectious Dr he tells me "surgery would be too risky and could kill me". and now he says he thinks he can get me thru safely. I see my Neuro Monday to discuss the surgery but I'm really worried about the infection coming back. Has anyone else been thru this? Any feedback would be appreciated.

• At least your doc has discussed complications and possibilities with you about the surgery. I didn't have an infection prior, but my doc didn't ever really discuss any complications with me before surgery. When I awoke from the first surgery, he came and said, "well, as I told you, there was the possibility that I couldn't get everything done through the back, so now we'll have to go in through the front." Yea, well, I was on drugs, but I knew we'd never discussed this. I was supposed to have a couple of small holes in my back. Instead, I had two huge incisions in my back and four days later got one stem to stern on my abdomen so they could take the discs out and put the grafts in that way. Oy!

I hope your infection clears and that they make sure it's gone before they try surgery again. Once that goes, hopefully, placing your pump will be okay.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
This discussion has been closed.