Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Looks like I will be joining the Dec. surgery list.

Met with my surgeon again and it doesn't sound good.

He has performed 2 discectomys/laminectomys on my L5-S1 and removed as much pedicle bone as possible without making my spine unstable. I've completed the Med-X physical therapy program and jave had epidural injections and i still have horrible back pain along with some sciatica and toe numbness.

Seems my only option is a fusion now. I'm 28 years old so my surgeon wanted to exhausr all options before having to perform the fusion which he says he can do minimally invasely, he thinks he can get me out of the hospital in 3-4 Days

I'm in the process of getting a second opinion but I'm 80% sure the. Surgery is in my future. The original surgeon I saw recommend a fusion due to my chronic low back pain and my line of work, saying it would only be a matter of time. My disc still has good thickness but is totally dehydrated and black on my mri's. I also have stenosis to complicate things further.

• Come on over to the December surgery buddies thread - we're a friendly group. It's good that you exhausted your other options, especially since you're so young. Are you having an anterior or posterior approach? How are your other levels? At least if the surgery is only at L5-S1 I understand that loss of flexibility won't be much of an issue as with higher levels.

Let us know how you're doing.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • and was in the hospital for 2 nights and 3 days. The hip and leg pain that I had before the surgery is gone. Nerves are waking up now though so its quite unfomfortable. Anyway my doc said I shouldn't have too many issues with mobility since I had a single level fusion and that it was done on the area of the spine that moves the least amount. I also exhausted all conservative treatments before the surgery. I am 32. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis
  • Karen, I believe my surgeon was talking about going int through the sides? The date has not yet been set since I told him I wanted to talk things over with my wife before I agreed on it. After talking to her I decided to get it done (already have my out of pocket maxed out this year so it will cost me nothing) I called his surgery scheduler who in turn has to let my Dr. know I'm going to go ahead with it so he can put in the orders and then put it through insurance to make sure they will pay for it.

Once I find out for sure I will have another few appointments I'm sure to talk about things. He talked about going in and only using a couple screws so I'm interested in seeing how he intends to secure things. Also he says my others levels are in really good shape which should make recovery a bit easier as well.

• Done through the side (L2-L4 Fusion) with a 'small' incision in the back to place rods and screws.

Tomorrow's my 'big' day!!!

XLIF 2-4 on 11-20-2012