Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Vent time sick and tired

Why is it that some people are such a.......... I have hung on to my job , come in here on a cane barley able to walk from back spasms and did my work..I told my boss I have a doctors apt Monday to get my pain meds and he has the gall to tell me I dont need them! My ribs and back feel like someone ran a knife through them last night and it hurts to the point of screaming ..He says why do you need them you seem awful froggy and are not walking funny ..I just dont understand people , he knows how long I have been dealing with chronic back pain..When I had my SCS Trial I came in and worked and I showed him my back he was like if you would quit letting doctors do things to you , you would feel better..Or you need to excercise , blah blah blah one of these days I will walk out of here and tell him where he can stick it! Just one day I would like to see the normals like him go through just one day of what we do ,im so frustrated I want to scream..

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    edited 11/16/2012 - 3:11 AM
    Not just in the work place, but many times with people in your social network. People that do not understand Spinal problems tend to not view your problems as being serious in nature. Instead they offer suggestions and/or advice as your supervisor did.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot we can do about this. It boils down to having some knowledge of the subject. Its easy to tell someone they should do this or that, or dont see this person, just sweat it out, etc. An example could be If I was to tell some mother that childbirth is an easy activity and what is all that huffing/puffing and bearing down have to do it it . Its Easy!

Besides having everything thrown at me right now, I would have no right to say that to any mother. I didn't experience the situation, I've only heard about it.

Same to others that talk about spinal problems, but have none of their own.

To me, before someone should speak to another about their situation, that need to have Walk the walk , Talk the talk and live through some of it

Don't let others get you down. You have to deal enough with your medical issues.

However: Note: In some large companies, if a manager was to say that to one of their employees, that employee could march right up to Human resources to make a complaint. No one should be treated like that in the work place.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    edited 11/16/2012 - 3:28 AM
    I should not let him bother me , he has got in my face before and srceamed at me for missing work , I think I have missed a total of 4 days this year ..I do my job and his and he doesnt even want me to take my vacation time its like pulling teeth! Why does things have to be so hard for spineys ..I am going to wipe the tears and hold my head up even though it hurts and go on and when I am done and cant go no more I will leave here without a look back! Thanks Dilauro you always seem to know how to keep us spineys going!
  • Kentucky girl, sorry that your boss is such a jerk, Ron is absolutely right, people will never understand until / if they go through it themselves. Keep your chin up!

I'm very lucky that way, i have the greatest boss in the world, he is literally like a brother to me (we are also the same age). There have been times when I'm in obvious severe pain and he tried to get me to go home, but alas, I'm a workaholic.
    edited 11/16/2012 - 8:34 AM
    There has been days I know he knows I am hurting he can see the the tears I hold back but he just ignores it, but he is not a very compassionate person unless its with one of his favorites and he does have those, I just do my best to get through the day and do my work and try to stay away from him as much as I can..He hurt his back some time ago and you should have seen the way he carried on lol it was not funny but it was at the same time but he healed and has not had trouble since ..Oh well I get good advice on here when Im upset all you folks seem to calm me back down and it makes it better..Thanks Soiney friends!
  • Hang in there ! Once my surgery was scheduled I started my short term disability right away. I know there were coworkers thinking I was a wimp, since it's a desk job, but the stress of the job and dealing with the pain weren't worth losing my sanity. You have to take care of yourself!