Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 yr. post surgery-increased pain

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
Hi all, I haven't posted in a long time. But I check in frequently.
I had my 1 yr. post op. check up and gave the SCS rep 1 more time to try and get this stimulator right, yesterday. The SCS was a bust. I've seen 5 different reps many, many times each since I had it put in Dec. 5 2006. And they just can't get the stimulation where I need it, without the unwanted stimulation in my butt and ribs. It is better than nothing first thing in the morn. while I'm waiting for the meds to kick in. Or till I can't stand the discomfort of the butt and rib stim. Because lately the pain just bounces off of the meds.
My P.M.Doc has tried switching the med cocktail up. And has increased the strength 2 times in a year. And he won't go any higher even if I wanted too. which I don't. my brains are fried. And I don't know if they would regenerate even if I could get by with no meds. And I can't. with too many years of chronic pain and 8 surgeries. I just can't stand any # of pain on the scale. It's just been too much for too long!
I told my surgeon that for the first 4 or so months it seemed like I was making very slow progress. And then it started to regress. The pains are different now. Most of the pain is coming from L,4-S1 where he did the open lami and clean up, and remove scar tissue. And not as bad, the 2 fusions of L,2-L1 and L1-T12. Then the pain from my feet and up midway on my calves. It feels like I'm walking on Hot broken glass.
I can't walk or stand for more that 10 min. To be in a car for more than 30 min. is a killer. So now I'm pretty much home bound. with no life. P.T. seems to make it worse. So it has not helped at all.
So I told all of this to my surgeon. And told him I'd like to have a C.T. with dye. And per the outcome of that. I've decided on getting the pain pump.
I've thought long and hard about this. And it was what I wanted when I got the S.C.S. but my family freaked out. So I didn't do it. I've mentioned this to my P.M. Doc. He said he doesn't do them. But would refer me to a colleague. We've had a relationship for over 12 yr. So that's a bummer.
I didn't ever want to be anesthetized or cut on every again. But after reading and re reading all of the positive posts of everyone who has had one put in. And I think 100% of them were more than happy with the results. And all of the great things that Patsy has sent me.
The one that I keep going back to is Susan's' where she cried after the trial. And the nurse asked if it hurt that bad? And she said no these are tears of joy, being pain free after all of these years!
So my surgeon has the ball in motion. And I see my P.M. Doc. on Mon. and I'll get him on board, I hope!
This has put me in a better frame of mind and relieved some of the depression. Just the decision that I'm
finally going to do it!
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• I can hear the relief in your post, with you just thinking about getting the pain pump. I hope it happens soon, and I hope that it brings you great relief. Pain sucks terribly.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    edited 11/16/2012 - 7:49 PM
    I hope this works for you and I am glad my post seemed to stick with you. I was totally pain free for about a hour. My trial was the one injection deal in the spine with the meds that would be in the actual pump when implanted. Oh how I still remember that moment of realizing I had no pain.I wanted to jump off the recovery bed in the post op area and start dancing. Lol. My family thought I was losing my mind or had been given too much medicine. Unfortunately I have developed a staph infection in my lower spine and am doing 6 weeks of IV antibiotics. My Drs do not believe that the staph infection was from the trial, my MRIs had suggested a possible infection for over a year that the Drs ignored. Once this treatment is over the infectious disease Dr thinks he can get me thru the implant safely. Implant or fusion, they have given me a choice. It is a long process to get to the trial point in the process. I had to take a class on the pump with a rep from the company that makes the pump, then approval from insurance and finally the Psych exam. Once all those were done it was all systems go and moved along real quick. Keep us up to date with your journey and Ill say a prayer this is the answer that you are seeking. My post stuck with you and it was Pattys post that stuck with me. "The only way they would take her pump away from her was from her dead body".. I am happy for you Jim and cant wait to hear about the moment you realize your pain is gone.
This discussion has been closed.