Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain pump too sentive for meds MORPHINE users in pumps in put

Well I had myscs and pns over ayiar ago , totaly love it, When i first met the newpm, he said beore we jup into the pump lets try oral narcotics I was on hydro 10/325 2 tabs 4x a day, he started me ot on the lowest dose since Im SUPER SINSITIVE to meds took 1st tylonal at age 30 made me threw up, ( yes I do know hydro, has tylonal in it) started me out on lowest dose of methadone 5 mgs...1 knocked me out for 2 days I dontmean unconsious, so GOT the pump dilaudid 4 drips ( im not exactly how that worked so I may be writtng something wrong upped it up to 5 way too much for me to handlw dropped back to 3, helped the pain some but still had to use hydro and Ice packs 24/7 used it 9 months and i started having urinary problems I thought it may be fromt he dilaudid, went to a urologist and said I had a deep wall bladder infection /scoped and full of red spots and blisters, since it took 20 min to a half hour to pee each day so only 1 in am 1 in pm so urine was in my bladder so long I got the infection now it will take 6 months for the bladder to shed a few layers of itself, and since he took out the dilaudid, I CAN PEE you dont know what a relief to almost not make it to the rest room. NOW since I didnt want morphine due to constant itching it would driveme nuts, we went straight to Fentenyal (alll thes drugs erre in thpump not a patch they went to my spinal cord, and circulated through spinal fluid. HE started me on ony 25 he said bc of my sinitivty, he usualy started everyone else on 100, and they have no problems....BUT me UNGODLY side efficts, my head felt like it had a semi on it , dizzy, extreemly neseatud (sp) my stomach hurt like h*ll tones of acid toook 3 previcide and phenergan, He told me to call asap if any problems CALL any tine and he or one of the other neuro/pms would meet mte I live 150 miles from them and I hate to bother people it was a nice weekend mine was in florida , so I got in on mon to se one of the other docs and dropped it to 3 drops in 24 hours big help but not enough the only good thing is it made the excruciating pain, L4/L5/S1 to a slight dull ache, So I saw my dock the next week on the monday and he removed all the fentynal from my pump refilled it witha flush o pur salline solution, so all the fentanl was sucked out, then he left the needle in my pump for 13 min, he dknoew what he was doing, and told me every step of everthing he did and why how cant rember quite all now, so now my pummp only has pure saline in it and will run out inthe year 2029 of course my pump will die well befor then. also if any of you have both scs and pain pump , since it uses its own power, its a theif, I now have to charge my IPG /scs every other day. medtronics makers of both said one would steel power from another ipg, and there isnt nothing you can do about it just charge all the time (scs) When I had gastric by pass I was on one od those self pain pumps that hospitals use after surgery) the nurse button anad morphine button were tied togather, and were identical, every damn time Id hit morphine and out Id go and itch like crazy made me so mad, if any one is using morphine , how do you cope with constant itching take benadryl and sleep and itch all day? he also said the drug co just releastedanother drug for the pain pumps (CRS the name if the newust drug) he said its bad stuff peop that have used it witout sideffects like me bothers them bad. so no. do I try morphine? I don want to sleep and itch to the end of my days only 54 f thanks and sorry for TMI thans rose... backpainzz

• backbback Posts: 190
    edited 11/17/2012 - 7:02 AM
    I don't have a pump but the PM who installed my SCS breached the subject of having me go with a pump last year. He was planning on going in a different direction by using Prialt, Amitriptyline, and Baclofen. Has your PM considered something along those lines?

I was real hesitant about the pump and my main PM agreed with me that I should hold off. The current plan is to replace my leads with the newer array leads when my IPG dies which will be within the next 2 to 6 years.

Hope you find a way to get things under control.

• My pain meds - F patch & Oxy make me very itchy! However for me it's just annoying not truly bother some. I take a muscle relaxer at bed time so I sleep through that itchy time ;)

My Dr & I have talked about me getting a PP down the road & he said the itching would probably increase. So I guess we'll see.

I guess if I were you I would give the Morphine a go, and maybe try to find a do-able balance between being itchy & sleepy & pain under control by adjusting morphine & Bendral.

Also if I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day & keep my skin moisturized with lotions it helps a LOT! Have you tired this?

You could also try running a cold mist vaporizer in your home to keep the air moist.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • thanks for responding B and ms humptydumpty, yes he did the newer drug he said alot of people that arnt sensitive to spinal drugs, and he said fentenal patches dont do anything for chrionic pain, only if it is in a pump ad circulating through your spinal cord, he withdrew all of the fentenial out of my pump and subing so only saline is ciruclating the spine now to keep the integrity of the pump incas I chang my mind and go for morphine, for the hell I went through with fentenyl in the pump, I had such terrable reacton, total RAGE at everyone, my poor husband of 32 my years had to leave , usualy when Im mad I dont say a word, I let it fly to a couple of mgrs ive known for years it was so bad, I told my husband I was going to get a mountain dew and if he heard the F****g ambulances it was b/c I was going to drive our new 2012 Malabu off the bridge, I didnt it was just the drug, after it was taken out of my body, I appoligized to all and knew that wasnt me, and I feel so bad ....so he gave me oxy pill form low dose, but I started it about 6 hours after the fentenyl and had the shakes, using hydro now then graduly wean it and then try the oxy- ps im too afraid of dying to purposly end my life, A nd I drink diet dew, Water, and have standng orders from my PC for a2 bags of saline for hydration and multivitimin in it for rehydration also, I had a twisted intestine ashered to the underside of my large colin, even b4 this my hair was thin brittle and wouldnt grow but 1 half inch a year and stop but now its to the middle of m back and thick. Rose
  • thankyou both for answering, The baclofin is a muscle relaxant for muscle spasms noe on the amatriptoline no the pirate, may be the newest drug out for pumpsters, I cant remember what it was called for sure. We run our humidifier on hi 24/7 I use moisturizing body wash and lotions, no dry skin here. The itching is just one of the side effects of using morphine whether it be given IV or through a pain pumps thankyou again Rose backpainzz
  • I'm using 100mg patch plus an assortment of morphine based pills.

Is the Fentanyl patch a waste of money?

I'm always in constant pain, some days worse than others, so, now I'm wondering that using the patch is a waste of money?
    More titanium steel in me than a modern car.....
  • I guess the F patch is different for each of us. I know that without mine I would not be able to function at all!
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
This discussion has been closed.