Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hemilaminectomy- For SS

Hi my husband is having this (Hemi-Lemi) surgery on L4 & L5 this next week and I was just wondering if anyone has had this surgery and has it been successful??? What's recovery time like? Any tips?? Dealing with this for the last 12 years and finally getting a right diagnosis makes him anxious and very ready to have this done.

advertisement

Comments

• I had two seperate hemis/diskectomies and they worked to some degree. My first surgery was a disaster. I was in horrible pain and ended up having a re-herniation the next day. A month later they went back in and fixed the disc again and trimmed a little more bone off. I felt pretty good for a few months until I twisted wrong and all my back pain/foot numbness came back. I'm currently trying to get scheduled for a fusion.

One thing to remember is that each person is different and each person reacts differently to surgery. Good luck to your husband!
  • Going by what my surgeon told me:

I had a L5S1 microdiscectomy. I asked before the surgery if I would be having a laminectomy as well. He explained it to me as the hemilaminectimy was "opening the door" to get to the disc for the microdiscectomy.

Now the hemilam alone can be used just to relieve pressure from the stenosis. Just like tison said, everyone is different. And spine surgery is spine surgery.

So 10 weeks into my recovery my advice is simple. Take it SLOW, take as much time off work as possible. Do everything the docs tell you including following restrictions & go to PT when time. Be prepared for setbacks. They are gonna happen. Every time you feel better you desire to do more when it may not be time.

Also as you read the forums remember that most ppl who have a successful surgery with no further pain do not post often if at all. So do not be scared by what you read, but it is OK to be cautious and wary and know what the risks are.

My surgery was successful and the doc thinks I am in a good way right now. Although the hardest parts of the recovery may be in the 4-10 week range. I have realised that "full" recovery will take much, much longer than that for me.

I did return to work after 2 weeks with office work only & started PT at 2 weeks also. I am still not able to do anything really physical at work. Hoping around the new year I can do some things here at work. ( I am a shop foreman but a machinist by trade, before injury I would spend 1-2 outta 5 days running machines rest of time office/supervisory work )

So thats what I got for ya, Good Luck to you & yours. 12 years is a long time, recovery may be slow but relief is sweet.
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!