Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

"Curing" or at least "stalling" DDD?

Is it possible? I am looking at surgery due to my C5-6 herniation pressing on my spinal cord. I have 5 other herniations at different levels throughout my spine and possibly more because we haven't imaged my thoracic spine yet. I am only 32. I'm afraid at this rate that my spine will either be completely fused or completely fall apart by the time I am 45. Is there anything at all that can be done to stall DDD from getting worse? I do not do physical work for my job, I sit at a desk all day which is fairly bad in and of itself. Any ideas, links, anything that you can throw my way? Thanks...

• reyna - sadly it is like a game of russian roulette :(

I have DDD and yes my spine is literally falling apart - a disk at a time. Where as my job was quite physical, and yes that did play a factor into my injury... it still could had happened "just" sitting at a desk.

To my knowledge there is nothing to do to prevent/protect ones self from DDD, treating your back & all over general health is a VERY good idea. Smoking is sooooooo bad for us. being over weight does not help. There are several things you can do that CAN (not will!) help but when the dice are tossed the out come is unknown.

However having said all those negative things I want to add this. I go to a Chiropractor & he over the yrs has taught me how to strengthen and use my back muscles. Had I not learned this I would have no choice but to be in a wheelchair full time right now.

Now the exercises and muscles won't stop DDD but they sure are a huge help to me in areas where I have so much damage at.

Maybe talk to your Dr about getting some PT specifically for building up your back (and hips and legs) muscle.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thanks for responding. :) I don't smoke, I'm not overweight so those are points in my favor. I am scared to death of chiropractors because I have this funny feeling that being manipulated caused the problems in my neck in the first place. I might have had herniations before I went to see the chiropractor but I never had symptoms until after I started seeing him. :( PT is definitely on my list but I also have some muscle issues (fibro or something similar) I need to look into first because I can't walk up the stairs without getting sore and tired and weak and my arms are worse than my legs - folding half a load of laundry has me feeling like I just benchpressed 300 pounds. But...I'm still being optimistic.
  • I sure never meant to sound like I was suggesting that YOU see a Chiropractor. No no no! ;) Not for you in my opinion. I was just explaining what a chiro or PT can do as far as muscle strengthening :)

Arm issues often come with C disk issues :(

Please keep me posted :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    edited 11/20/2012 - 8:21 AM
    threads on this site. One of the reasons is that so many people have it and it is one of most mis understood spinal condition.

In the simplest of terms, DDD is essentially the aging of our spine, just as our hair turns gray. Some have it sooner, some get more of it, some treat it, some ignore it.

I always refer folks to this Spine-Health section: All you need to know about Degenerative Disc Disease
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com