Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nervous me surgery in 10 hrs

I'm having a L3-4 and L 4-5 decompression bilateral microforaminatomy with partial medial facetectomy. Someone please talk to me

• Pain from lumbar to quads has been disabling - very painful!
  • Hi Professor, I hope you see this before your surgery. Just wanted to tell you I will be praying for you. I don't know if you have ever had back surgery before but I had my 4th one in May and please believe me when I tell you that the anticipation is always much worse than surgery itself. Sure you will have pain but the surgeon will make sure you are taken care of and if not enough don't ever be afraid to speak up. I have found that more pain before surgery, less pain after for me. I had such severe pain before that the pain meds kept it well under control for me. Just make sure you are up walking as soon as they want you too...it hurts like heck but made me feel better and get out of there quicker:) There is a post on this forum for November surgeries. You should go there and share your surgery story with others going through surgery also. Please let us know how you feel when you are up to it.

• Welcome to spine Health!
    I am not sure that you will see this before your surgery, but I will be thinking of you and hope that your lumbar decompression surgery will achieve all that the surgeon plans. I also hope that your post surgery pain will be well controlled. As Kelli says, do let them know if you are still in pain. They can help you. I also agree that the more pain you have before surgery, it often seems that the better you cope after surgery. That has certainly seemed to be the case with me.

I was also going to tell you about the November Surgery Buddies thread. I had a 2 level ACDF on 5th November, but have also had a lumbar fusion with decompression in 2010. There are quite a few of us on the November thread with all sorts of surgeries. Do come and join us. Being able to talk to others who are also recovering from spine surgery is a great support once you are on this side of surgery.

I'll look forward to getting to know you better. :-)
  • Welcome to Spine health. Just wanted to say a quick Hi, and let you know that I will be thinking of you today. Soon you will be on the other side, and on to recovery. Hope that you have a look at the thread for November surgeries, as it is always nice to have others that get what you are going through, and can support each other.

Look forward to hearing how you are doing, when you are able.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I just had lumbar decompression surgery in early October. I hope your surgery goes well and that you will be in less pain afterwards. Let them know if you are in pain--surgery around the nerves can create havoc so TELL them if you need pain relief. I thought I would be able to return to teaching after the 4 weeks my surgeon estimated but am taking off the entire semester because my herniation was larger than the MRI depicted. I need more recovery time. Give yourself the time you need to heal. I wish you a successful surgery and and recovery. Good luck!

L5S1 lumbar limited laminectomy/discectomy decompression for large extruded disc