Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

"mild arachnoiditis"

hikerbuddyhhikerbuddy Posts: 10
Last night I read the radiologist report from my last MRI and saw that little nugget. Now I'm wondering if that's the cause of my continued severe sciatica in my right leg nearly 3 months out from L5-S1 ALIF.

Everything I've read about that little a-word has me scared (EDIT).

I have edited your post for the following reason:
11.01 You agree not to submit or post material that is vulgar, obscene or otherwise objectionable in any manner or nature to forums on Spine-health.com. This includes the use of #$%@ or XXXXX as a means to hide foul language.

Thank you for your understanding.
Spine-Health Moderator

• hikerbuddy said:
    Last night I read the radiologist report from my last MRI and saw that little nugget. Now I'm wondering if that's the cause of my continued severe sciatica in my right leg nearly 3 months out from L5-S1 ALIF.

Everything I've read about that little a-word has me scared sh!tless.
    How many surgeries have you had? Usually arachnoiditis comes with many surgeries? Was there any complications with the surgery? Did you have any injections? What are all of your symptoms? I am so sorry you ahve this. I have done lots of studies on this disease, as I think that i have it as well.
    Hannah Mueller
  • hikerbuddyhhikerbuddy Posts: 10
    edited 12/04/2012 - 6:05 AM
    Rily, I've had just two surgeries, one microdiscectomy in February (L5-S1) and the ALIF in late August. I had two injections 3 weeks before the fusion. The same diagnosis was on an MRI I had done before the fusion, so it showed up after the microdiscectomy. I finally sent an email to Dr. EDIT who is apparently the foremost expert on the subject, and his response was:

"All patients who have had a discectomy have some residual “mild arachnoiditis”. That’s not your problem.
    You seem to be on the right track for obtaining another opinion. Emory should be a good place to be seen."

So that immediately put a little ease to my mind, but I still battle pretty bad sciatic pain in the right leg. The surgeon that did my fusion referred me to a pain mgmt MD (damn DEA rules) and he also said it's too early to expect it to totally be gone. He switched me from Neurontin to Lyrica, Lortab to Nucynta, and Soma to Robaxin. He wants to see me at the end of the month, after my 3-month xray at the surgeon's office, and if needed do an epidural to help tamp down the inflammation.

Dr. EDIT responded to my email the same day I sent it...perhaps he may review your case if you send him a note. I was amazed to hear back at all, let alone so quickly.

Post edited to remove name of medical professional and or facility. by The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  •  Hello, I have had back problems since being in the service, I believe much of it may be attributed to being airborne, and of course the daily 4 mile run and 12 mile road marches. I began with just back pain, then every now and then a severe sharp lightning bolt pain going down my leg that would last about 3 seconds. This happened every once in a while, after about 4-5 years it began to come on more frequently and my back pain began to get worse. I have tried over the counter pain med (only Tylenol as I am allergic to all NSAIDS) and every now and then prednisone (steroids). Along with physical therapy, nerve blocks (7 of them over a 3 year period), tens unit, pysho therapy, massages, and acupuncture. I have had multiple x-rays, ct scans and MRI'S and it showed I had  bulging disc at s-1 L-5 that was pushing on my sciatic nerve. I ended up having surgery on 8/13/15 and it did not help at all. I am worse off now than before. The pain is more intense all over my back and the pain going down my leg is worse and more frequent now. I have been told many different diagnosis through the use of an MRI. I have been told I have spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, arachnoiditis (clumping of the nerve roots). It also says I have post surgical Fibrosis and a small right lateral disc protusion at S-1, S-2.  This was said through an MRI after a little over a year from my surgery. I have also been told through other MRI's that I do not have spinal stenosis and am getting different opinions on what is wrong with me. Please help with any advice. I am now on 30MG Oxycodone 4x daily along with Lyrica and prednisone and want to find out what my problem is so I can get it fixed and come off the medications. I have been having to call out from work so often that I no longer have any sick days or vacation days left. There are times I have to put a chair in the shower and have my wife help me dress because of the amount of pain I be in. Can anyone help? Is anyone else going through what I am going through? My main concern is the fact that I keep getting different diagnosis along with some saying there is nothing wrong with me. Obviously something is wrong, the only thing everyone seems to agree on is the Arachnoiditis.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hello spark
    This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.

With help from  the link below you can search for articles on this subject or I suggest you create a new discussion using the link below

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.