Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Officially in the recovery stage...

Totally amazed that I walked and comfortable doing so so quickly. Surgery pain but the pain that got me to this point almost gone. More of a streaching feeling.

XLIF 2-4 on 11-20-2012

• Shell2ySShell2y Posts: 80
    edited 11/21/2012 - 9:13 AM
    Great to hear you are up and about, doing so well. I know what you mean re the pain, when I had my fusion I was amazed that the nerve pain I had for years was gone and that I could feel me feet more than i ever thought was possible, plus I could even lift them when I walked. Be aware though that you have had a brilliant start but the recovery will still have its ups and downs as the muscles and bones etc start to recover. You will have great days, and days when you will worry that things have been set back as the pain increases and nerves just remind you that they have been under pressure and are still recovering, then you will go back to a good day again. Your body will certainly tell you if you push too hard as you will find you suddenly can't do as much as you think. So take it easy, stick to the Dr's rules, and great news that the surgery has been so successful.
  • Great news! When was your surgery? Yes, your body will let you know if you do too much, I did yesterday and am in pain today because of it. Good luck to you!
    C-6 C-7 Cervical Spinal Fusion October 15, 2012
  • Shell2y and kristine have given you some good advice.
    The early signs are very encouraging, keep it up.

• Congratulations!!! take it easy though!! Do not bend or twist,be very careful even
    If you feel good!! Do you have a brace? I didn't have one but I am careful..
    take care!
  • I am about a month out from my fusion surgery and I do not regret one bit of it. The first thing I noticed when I woke up was that the leg and hip pain was completely gone. I have very little pain unless I do something I'm not supposed to like bend over (about 2 weeks after i instinctively bent over to pick something up) or if I sit too long or over do it. Since then I have developed some problems with my anterior incision but the back seems to be all good.

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis
  • I'm happy to hear your positive news so soon after surgery! I concur with everyone else's posts. I was feeling pretty great after surgery, too (pain from the surgery, but no longer any pain from the nerves!). Hearing from others and reading it on this site from so many others, I knew walking was the best PT. What I didn't take into consideration is that I didn't need to walk as far, as long and as often as I could. My body quickly told me so, and I've relaxed my expectations. It's enough right now to know that the fusion worked, and I am actually in recovery, even if it takes a while. Congratulations to you, too!
  • My surgery was October the 20 a few bad days once in s while but for the most part I'm doing better than I have in years
    XLIF 2-4 on 11-20-2012

• Good to hear that your surgery has meant you are doing so much better than you have in years.
    You are still in early days, so there is hope that things will get better and better. :-)
  • Walked just over a mile and body's telling me I might have gone to far. I'll keep to my lesser distance cod a day or two longer.
    XLIF 2-4 on 11-20-2012