Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Microdisectomy question

Good Morning,

I am a 37 yr old male with back problems.

I had a Microdiscectomy surgery on my l4/l5 exactly a week ago. The pain after the surgery was a living hell after the first couple of days but finally after taking Naproxen my muscles are a little more relaxed and the pain is going away.

I have taken this surgery very serious so I have been laying in bed most of the time. I only get up to do exercise (1 hr a day) walking around the neighborhood. Not lifting anything or putting pressure on my back.

My question is that just yesterday blood started coming out and I am a little scared. The blood is not dark, is pale and it seems to come out with a water like fluid and it does not smell. At times, if I bend I can see a little drip of blood with liquid come out of the incision. Also my back feels really strange when this happens.

Has anyone had this same issue? should I be worried? Also if that blood and discharge doesn't come out, how is my back supposed to hold that inside?

Sorry for my ignorance but I am not that educated when it comes to this type of surgery.

should I be worried?

• RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 512
    edited 11/22/2012 - 5:12 AM
    I am not a doctor, I can only give advice based on my own experiences. I was told that a little drainage is normal. If you are uncomfortable with anything that goes along with the healing process, call your doctor. That's what they are there for. I have had 5 lumbar surgeries, 3 in the last year. After my surgery in February, my incision was draining profusely. I am talking soaking the dressing and going thru my clothes. It did that for about 3 weeks until one evening I spiked a fever, The next day I had another surgery to clean out infection. My suggestion would be call the doctor and ask them. After all its better to be safe than sorry.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • I was told that a little discharge is normal, although I had very, very little from my micro-D incision. A few drops on the dressing each 24hrs for only the first 2-3 days. If it is worrying you, I would call your Dr's office and at least talk to a nurse. If there is no redness &.or swelling around the incision it might be completely normal, but your medical professionals will know best.
  • I would call the doctor's office tomorrow just to be safe.