Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Feeling somewhat discouraged today

I woke this morning in nearly the same stabbing bone pain I had the first week after surgery. Luckily Vicodin helped, but I want to get off the narcotics. I know I am progressing slowly after 6 weeks, but I wanted to be alright for my family today, especially the kids. It took all my energy to bake them their cookies yesterday and it was worth it to see their faces, but I maybe I overdid it the past couple days. I wanted to be cheerful and fully present for my toddler nephews but I just feel like a tired old drag. I want to be happier on Thanksgiving and I know there are people who are sufferring more than I. Sorry to whine on a day when I am thankful that I've got the family I have. Missing my mother has also been hard. She had a much better attitude. I just wish she were here.

L5S1 laminectomy/discectomy spinal decompression for large lumbar herniation

• I had three spine surgeries this year, two fusions and a staph infection washout. I want to be off pain meds, but now I have another herniated disc that causing me a sorts of problems in right lower back and right leg. I have the whole nine yards, pain, sciatica, numbness, and weakness. I lost my job when my employer found I couldn't be back by a certain date cause of the staph infection. Then my NS was kind enough to inform me that I could no longer work, so I had to file for disability. At least they called me the other day to ask me a few questions and they told me that will have a decision in a couple of weeks. I'm sure I will be denied, cause of my age and education. What makes this really suck is that I am only 32 and I just graduated from college. I have pretty much wasted four expensive years. I am still trying to find something to be thankful for. Anyway, that's enough of my pity party. Thanks for letting me vent.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    Could you tell us more about your condition? Having your Neurosurgeon tell you that you can no longer work is quite a statement. Over the years, 7 Spinal surgeries, 3 complete joint replacements and never once did a doctor say I could no longer work!!

What they have said, is that you may NOT be able to do the type of work you were currently doing. For example, after my 4th spinal surgery, my doctor(s) would tell me that IF I was in heavy construction, I could no longer use a jack hammer.

Even with all the titanium that is in my body, one major NO-NO is I cant CHOP wood. But work, not a problem, I might have needed limitations and/or alterations. I was a programmer by trade, so spending 8-12 hours a day at the computer was too much. So, I needed to limit that time.

So reading your post, I was taken back a bit. I've come close to being wheel chair bound for life, but because of some excellent Eastern medical views/treatments, I am not and I am still working.

You are young, recently graduated, so I am sure that you are more eager to use your education and put it to use vs not working and going out on disability
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My primary doctor, has told me "you might want to find another career", i am a material handler in a warehouse. i like my job alot, but i must be able to lift up to 75lbs. this is why i have not gotten the recommended microdiscectomy yet. but all i have is a high school diploma, and there is no way i could sit in classes to get better education, sitting is awful for me. i just get so frustrated that this has happened to me, just like everyone i am sure. it is mainly because this is my third time working for this company, i was laid off twice before, but now we are doing real well, and i have plenty of seniority, they have great benefits, it is 10 minutes from my house, this just makes me sick when i think about it, sorry everyone i just had to vent.
  • humanshishkabobhhumanshishkabob Posts: 65
    edited 11/23/2012 - 9:15 AM
    It is good to know we aren't alone on our bad days, I suppose. I am sorry, LTgirl2011--it sounds like you've been through hell. Can I make a suggestion? You might call your college's career placement people and explain the situation and ask if they might have any ideas. Sometimes they know of something you can do at home, via Skype, or something. I was able to do some work from home after surgery that way before I was "let go" by my employer because I couldn't return to my workplace in the 4 weeks the NS said I'd need to recover. I may be rehired again in January when I'm better, but I am looking for better jobs even though I don't have a lot of energy right now. I am even looking for other types of jobs where I don't have to sit or have a long sitting commute. Getting through the pain and frustration is not easy, particularly at this time of year. I am sorry, catfish man, too, about your situation. Sometimes you don't need to sit in class, by the way,--some teachers are pretty understanding and flexible. Thanks for letting me vent, too. It just gets to be too much for me sometimes.