Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C1/C2 fusion in 83 year old

My father had a c1/c2 fusion one week ago with bone graft. His health is not ideal with some heart issues, among other issues. He is planning to travel with his wife from NY to California in three weeks time for a two week family vacation. He is currently in rehab and in a lot of pain. My brother and I are concerned about his travel but he nor his wife seems to be listening to our concerns. I am curious what you think of a someone his age flying, and being in a hotel, away from his doctors, for two weeks. This would be four weeks post op. Let me also add that he broke his neck a few months ago, but it got much worse in the brace making surgery necessary. He did well in the surgery. Please advise,

• Faithrube:

I have been blessed to have parents from the same generation as your's. They demonstrate a very tough, enduring and positive outlook on life. In my opinion, a good portion of their fortitude came from living through the Depression and WWII.

We (their children and grandchildren) are often challenged to understand their grit. However, we are in a position to provide responsible oversight and advice even though they may not accept it. When they don't it becomes frustrating and even unnerving (such as your situation).

As the power of attorney of my mother-in-law (87 years old) and the next to youngest son (5 living siblings) of my mother (89 years old), I can sympathize with your situation. All you can do is explain the facts and the potential consequences. Your father is from a different generation. They endured and survived and lived life to its fullest. Those from that era who are still alive continue to live life to its fullest, just like your father. We can learn much from their lives.

I wish you luck in your wise, but younger, counsel with your father. It is a very difficult task.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 11/25/2012 - 9:02 PM
    I have to agree with Jim, my parents are 93 and 91 and nothing and nobody will stop them doing what they want to do, they are just home after a week in Guernsey they travelled by plane, a few months before it was France. My father has some serious health issues, and my mum can't go out without her walker, but they says the day they can't get out is the day they give up.

When the family want to visit we have to phone first and then they reach for the diary, we maybe lucky to get a day when we can visit within the week, otherwise tough.

I think with our parents surviving all these years, both in the forces during WW2, the London blitz and the acts since that puts peoples lives in danger. We can only just hope all goes well and they enjoy themselves.

In 2005 the family (we are scattered around the world) knew they had gone up to London, we knew the area they were and time..just happened to be the same time and area as a fatal bombing. We all rung round each other to see if we knew anything, they weren't answering their mobile telephone, it was evening before they answered the house phone, they were enjoying a cup of tea and angry that we were all worried, they said they hadn't seen the need to take their mobile phone with them as they were both together, and what was all the fuss about.
    It was only when they saw the carnage on the news that they realised why we were frantic. They were more worried about the fact there were road closures which made them walk further.

Parents will do what they want, I suppose they deserve their freedom for as long as they have left. My parents think it is still their job to worry about us, and as long as we let them know where we are and what we are doing that keeps them happy.

I know many people of your parents age that fly, one lady I know flew from London to Texas when she was 85,
    I hope your parents have a good and safe trip, best not worry too much as their minds are made up.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery