Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need help please...should I find the money for second opinion

Let me summarize everything that happened through last night. The DOI was 5/28/12 I injured my back over the course of 2 days. On day 1, I was working on the nightly order at an order away at the gas station I worked at, I heard a popping/clicking while lifting a box of one gallon jugs of water. .Immediately, horrible pains shot down from my lower back down to my left leg.

In the morning, when the manager came in, I told her that"I f$%d#d my back up". She did no incident report and life went on. Even though the pain was bad, I worked the next night out of fear of losing my job. I told my coworker from the second night and my supervisor that I could hardly get out of bed. (now keep in mind that, at the time, I was homeless and living next door in an extended stay hotel, and the store pretty much had me on call, though I did not agree to any agreement)..

The second night I worked. I was in pain but I had to try or I would've lost my job. I was putting away boxes of iced coffee in the cooler and that time I felt and heard something. The pain was so bad I dropped to my knees in pain. First I called one of the managers and he told me to "stick it out dude". Another manager came in to take my place and, as she barged into the store, she yelled, "Your not coming back to work unless you get a doc's note stating that your back is all better."

I called and asked for workman's comp. I was told "no worker's comp". Then I reached the manager and told her that the pain was really bad and that I needed to see a doctor. First, I did it through text. Finally I called her and she claimed that being out of town would prevent me from seeing the doctor. Fast forward several months and two attorneys later, I am in the middle of a lawsuit.

I have been telling my doctors that I have been in pain, that my left leg get pangs of terrible sciatica, that my left testicle is always in pain, that I sometimes fall from my left leg buckling from under, that I have numbness and tingling in my left leg, and pain inside. Since I had my first epidural injection, my right leg has begun to act up, as well. I have no idea why.. On some days it seems that my right leg is worse than the other leg.

I had a second MRI done last week and my neurologist had it mailed to me on a Saturday, when I could not get a hold of my doctors. Described below are the two impression made from the radiologist::

1) L5-S1 desiccated disc with a posterior and left paracentral disc protrusion compressing the left ventral thecal sac and left S1 root as it exits the thecal sac. The disc protrusion extends slightly below the level of the disc space. There is mild facet hypertrophy.
2) L4-:5 desiccated disc and disc bulge with a small posterior central protrusion abutting the ventral thecal sac. There is facet hypertrophy with fluid in the facet joints. There is minimal central canal narrowing.

I may be a candidate for a speedy surgery. The following are the 4 diagnoses the neurologist had given me:
1 - Back Pain (my doctor didn't seem to care).
2 - Paresthesia (still my doctors probably didn't believe me)
3 - Herniated disc
4 - Urinary incontinence (I pissed my bed every night for the past couple weeks.

No freakin joke, later that night after arriving home I could hardly walk...it felt like walking with a jello leg that had sharp, pointy obects in them. It went away after 2 hours or so.but came back this morning. I walk like a goddamned puppet on strings, almost jerky like. At the same time I feel my foot sometimes dragging behind me.

Remember I had numbness and tingling up to this point. The doctors' never believed me this whole damn time. I havent gotten hard in months. I piss my bed every night. I s*^T once the other day in my underwear while sleeping.
Errol Fernandez

• ...like it is time for you to find doctors who do believe your symptoms and now that you have MRIs, that should be helpful.

I know that one question I was asked by each of the three surgeons I initially visited for my cervical issues, was whether I experienced incontinence. I was surprised by the question not having had those issues and how they related to my neck, and I was told and it was confirmed by each that the C3/4 C4/5 issues could impact "control".

For your doctors to not be aware of this as "real" and a possibility is concerning and you should RUN to the next surgeon (perhaps through recommendations). To be in that much pain and to be met with the responses you are receiving sounds like it's time to find someone else who is really willing to deal with things head on.

I wish you well and hope that you find someone else who is willing and able to resolve your issues.
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • Definitely yes. Anytime someone has loss of bowel or bladder function, that is a definite red flag. You need to be evaluated VERY soon, as in yesterday. Usually, any doctor worth their weight, as soon as they hear loss of bowel/bladder that's an immediate trip to the hospital.
    Good Luck ....
This discussion has been closed.