Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain in arm returning after surgery?

I had my cervical spinal fusion done on October 15th mostly because the compression of my spinal cord was so severe the neuro was afraid a fall or jolt could sever my spinal cord. I only found this out cause I was having pain in my right arm after I was rear-ended back in September. I had a little bit of pain in my arm about one week post-op but now 6 weeks later it's back. I saw my neuro for a follow-up at 5 weeks and he said everything looked great and I was good to go to return to normal activity and no restrictions other than to take it slow and build up to normal activity. I didn't have the pain then but now I do and it has me worried! Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be worried?
C-6 C-7 Cervical Spinal Fusion October 15, 2012

• bpreachersbbpreachers Posts: 147
    edited 11/28/2012 - 6:49 AM
    I had ACDF multi level surgery in August for disc herniation and near full spinal compression. My neurosurgeon was also worried that if I fell, had a reck, or got jarred hard that i would end up a quadroplegic. Fast forward a bit and I was still having major nerve issues and neck pain. My doctor said on top of the disc herniation with myelopathy that I also have cervical spinal stenosis and spondylyosis with myelopathy. Not to alarm you but Ibwill be having a second surgery in a few weeks to fix that issue and hopefully remove the nerve pain. I will now be having a posterior cervical laminectomy with fusion.
  • Thanks for answering. I called my neuro and was told I might be doing too much since it returned only after the collar was removed. Good luck on your second surgery, I wish you the best! I hope I don't have to have another one.
    C-6 C-7 Cervical Spinal Fusion October 15, 2012
  • Kristine,

You are still early out of surgery. During surgery your nerves were moved around and so on, so they might be a little pissed off still, which is normal. Take your time healing and pay attention how you do things, with proper body mechanics. I am not sure I would be out lifting 40-50lbs items yet, I would give it more a chance to heal. Not sure what you do for work, if you have a sit down job, your surgeon might have thought you wouldn't be doing heavy lifting, however we all know how easy it is around our own homes. Sometimes following surgery they may need a dose of roids to calm things down. If the pain is still there at the 4 month mark be sure to keep your surgeon in the loop. Congrats on your recovery thus far, though. Keep in mind your body is going to recover for the next year, as you fuse and learn to use your neck a different way, with the fusion.