Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 months Chronic Pain & only getting worse

My name is Diane I'm 37 my life has changed so much the past 6 months...servere veritgo & nausea then my right leg would just go limp months of numbness on my left side tingleing constant...I have been to so many drs & go to Duke tomorrow....my life has went from having one to being in bed or on the couch i have no life...nowdays Im lucky if I can have one good day a month & a good day for me is just getting up & being able to move with constant pain or falling. Two surgeons have pretty much said you have alot going on but the 1st states I dont think all this is causing your pain the 2nd pretty much you have hernaited disc from C2 thru C6 I cant help you..neither doctor ever went over my mri. I had a life I worked, I always did yardwork always doing something now I can't do anything Im lucky if I work 4 hours a week.The pasint 3 months or more like now I have went down hill by the week, standing kills me, seating is just as bad, laying on my back in the past weeks no longer eases the pain....only thing that seems to help at all is laying on my stomach. My neck feels like its going to fall off, my enitre back hurts, my hips hurt, my shoulders hurt, my shoulder blades kill me, my legs hurt.. after standing an hour or two my left leg i can feel a stadacit nerve pain shooting down my leg...the list goes on severe hedaches nd so on...Im at a lost
MY MRI REPORT
Mild straightening of the normal cervical spine.Slight disc space narrowing C5-6 Marrow signl homogeneous (whatever that means) Moderate sized central & leftward protusion/extrusion C5-C6 effaces the anterior subarchnoid space & extends into the left neural foreman & mild cord flattening. Mild Dilation central canal extends from C6 to T2. Syrinx seen in this area but very small. Nerve root encrochment C6
Disc Desiccation L5-S1 mild bulging, lower lumber facet arthropathy L4-L5 & L5-S1
Mild wedging (fracture) T11
Schmorls nodes inferiorly T9-T10 with mild bone marrow edema at the endplate of T10
Promient central canal extending from T4-T8
Shallow protusions T6-T7 7 T7-T8 larger protrusions T10-T11 & T11-T12 on the right mild effacement T6-7 & T10-11
as well I must be missing a page cause I have a curve i believe it was in the L4 area
So from what little I did get from the surgeons so far is 6 bulging disc & seems 6 hernaited disc along with the arthtis & disc degdegeneration, as well disc desiccation......but one surgeon says this isnt causing my pain the other states alot going on I cant help you Duke is your answer...any advice would help...peoples lives just dont go from living to living in a bed....ive done the adjustments several until the dr said it wasnt helping I live on a heating pad done that....please help who can excersice when i bend down and can barely get up, days I can barley walk just dont understand this isnt in my head....
diane
advertisement

Comments

• Diane37
    I am sorry you are in so much pain. It sounds to me that you have Degenerative Disc Disease, arthritis of the spine. I am no doctor, just a retired teacher. I retired last year because of the lumbar back pain, I am 61. I hope you have insurance so you can get good surgical opinions. I had a laminectomy on L3-L5 because I had sciatica and spinal stenosis and radiculopathy, pain down my left leg, although it took turns on either leg. My pain was mostly constant from this past May to now and the last epidural of steroid did not help. The more activity I did the worse it got. I decided to have the surgery on Nov 5th and I'm very glad I did. My awful pain disappeared. I had some numbness in my legs and the incision pain but I prefer that to the pre-surgical pain. I have cut my meds by 1/2 and oxycodones have helped with the pain. Consult 2 different neurosurgeons to get 2 opinions. I had an excellent neurosurgeon from Atlanta Brain and Spine. Good luck to you & let me know how you're doing.
    MariCarmen

Laminectomy L3-L4, L4-L5, no fusion
  • Spine is so complicated when multiple things are going on, It realy is hard for these dr,s to pin point the direct cause,
    And when the wrong surgery is done things just go from bad to worse,
    So very important to get many opinions to make sure all drs agree on same surgery to avoid failed back surgery and further complications,

Best of luck and hope they figure it out so you can have a beter quality of life that we all deserve,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I love Duke they were a saint with my son..my appt went well i guess the best it could today...truly better then the last 2 surgeons..he did agree with the DDD, as well as the hernirated discs but said surgery wouldnt help me right now, he disagreed with the other drs telling me the syrinx was so tiny cause he showed me my mri pics and showed that it goes 1/2 way down my spine stops then starts again...but they will keep a eye on it. I was somewhat surprised they didnt go ahead and consider a shunt..but idk..they seem to think i need to get the Fibro under some control 1st and they are sending me to a pain clinic...im at the point i cant work ive worked like 4 hours the past two weeks...the pain just continues to get worse still no more meds have no idea when i will get into the pain clinic..im at a loss being single & having to worry about bills is just beyond stressfull i lost everything when my son had his spinal issues took over a year to figure out what was wrong with him and another year of spinal taps and blood patches b4 he was better...i lost everything but it was worth him getting better yet now i worry because i can barely work due to my own problems...this has truly stopped my life & income & not knowing when & if i will get better is crazy stressful i do thank you all for your comments i guess we will see what happens next
    diane