Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Funny experiences while in the Hospital

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
edited 11/29/2012 - 7:16 PM in Lighten and Brighten
I think that anyone who has had surgery, has a lot of painful stories to talk about. The pain levels, waiting for the next pain medication to be given, etc

But I am also sure that many people have experienced something really funny during their stay at the hospital due to surgery.

Personally, I have two situations that I have always found comical.

Butterflys are Free
During my first surgery, I developed some complications, developed aspirated pneumonia, and could not get rid of a fever.
Back in 1978, a hospital stay for back surgery could be 4 to 5 days. I was in for over two weeks. Near the end of my stay, my wife had arranged for a private nurse to sit in with me during the night. I was having some judgement problems, so she felt having someone watch me would be good. (Now keep in mind, my wife works at this hospital and it was her friends that were basically baby sitting me). I had many flowers and plants in my room, and one of them was a miniature orange tree.
That one night, without warning, these HUGE green and red butterflies burst out of the oranges and started to fly around the room, zooming past my head. I was nervous, I had no idea what these creatures wanted. Slowly, they started to eat my blankets from the bottom up. I tried my best to get the attention of the babysitting nurse, but she didnt notice me. But she was totally awake, reading a book. I was getting real upset. These huge and growing butterflies were multiplying. In a short time, there were over a hundred in my room. I had no real weapon to defend myself, but in the draw by the table the hospital issued Toothbrush and comb were handy. I tried to catch one of those beasts with those tools but was unsuccessful. A few minutes later, the nurse babysitter came over to me, since I was standing on the bed and said I was sweating and drenched. So got me back into bed and started to do vital signs. I panted and said, did you see those butterflies? The look on her face told me everything.
Finally, when I was released from the hospital, I took all the plants and flowers home. Except, I left that dangerous, diabolic dwarf orange tree behind. I was no dummy, I wasnt going to bring that home so, those butterflies could take over my house

Care for a Smoke
Back in 1978, smoking in the hospital was no big deal. In fact, as a patient, I had an ashtray by my bedside. Ok, no
open up your eyes, heart and ears. This was the 70's and that was a time for Love,Peace and Drugs. My brother in law smuggled in a few of those funny cigarettes. So, around 2:00 in the morning, I decide to lite one up. But of course not to alarm the staff, I opened the window by my bed and did the smoking under the covers. All that was fine, UNTIL, I dropped the funny cigarette in the bed, but couldnt find it. After a short time, I could smell the bed burning! Heck, I couldnt call the nurse, after all I was doing something perhaps illegal. But then besides the smell, there was smoke coming from under my covers. Pushed the call button a hundred times and the nurse came in. She was startled by the smoke , asked if I was allright and then called for maintenance to take care of the situation. Within a few minutes there were about a thousand people in my room Fire type of people, Police type of people and hospital type of people. That had me dress properly since I had to get out of the bed. It only took them a minute or two to put out the blaze... Blaze, it was a tiny smoldering!
After it was all done and people were leaving, one of the fire type of people came over to me and handed me the remains of that funny cigarette. His only comment was Next time you want to party, invite a few others

I am sure that many of you have stories like this to share. Please post them here and give us a good laugh.
Humor can be the best medicine!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com