Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI Joint ablation

I had a SI joint ablation on Monday and it was the most painful procedure I have ever had. It still hurts something awful and that was 5 days ago. I just spoke to the Dr., and she said it's normal due to the big needle and they traveled all through the joint. They have me scheduled for the right side on the 20th and I'm thinking strongly of not going through with it. I would love to hear from anyone that has had this done and has also had a lot of pain and felt it was traumatic. Was it worth it? The posts I have read don't seem to sound as if it was a big deal. I have had other procedures that were a piece of cake compared to this. It just makes me wonder why I'm hurting so bad on this procedure.

God bless, Karley
Karley
advertisement

Comments

• No sedation to have it done ? When i am not sure of the procedure and i know i wont have sedation as i usualy dont a valium before the procedure seems just as good in my opinion,

Ask for some valium if you dont already have some at least for the procedure, Or the sedation itself if they wont prescribe valium,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • If I'm correct, I had a medial branch nerve block and I believe it pretty close to the same procedure. I was told there was no sedation and minimal local anesthesia due to the patient needing to give feedback to the doctor. This was also quite uncomfortable for me, much more than facet joint injections or having contrast injected into my spinal column for a CT scan. If it were me I would of scheduled them further apart to see how the first one took and if I thought it was worth doing again. Anyway best of luck.
    Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy/Foraminalectoy L4/L5/S1 Oct 2009, Mar 2012
    Laminectomy L4/L5/S1 Dec 2009, Oct 2012, Dec 2012
    Microdiscectomy and Synovial Cyst removal Feb 2013
    St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted January 2014

• When I had lumbar facet ablation I had light anesthesia for it. I have had the steroid injections without being "under", and they are horribly painful. That being said, I think perhaps the doctor does need your feedback, because the facet injections I had without anesthesia worked better.
  • Hi, Karley. I have had five rhizotomies done over the past five years. The first four were done under general anaesthetic, along with cortisone injections, at levels L4/L5, L5/S1 and the SI joints. My pain was extreme, but very short lived, after the surgery, and I got tremendous relief. The last rhizotomy was done without anaesthetic, and he used steady heat, rather than pulsing; it was extremely traumatic for me. I have to believe that having it under a general anaesthetic makes it much easier for the body to adjust to the changes.

If possible, I would meet with your doctor again to see if he feels the second one is worth a try. Take care, and good luck.
  • Karley, I agree with Alexhurting. I have been poked and prodded in every joint in my back. When I first started in 2010 when all my pain began I had some dreadful experiences too. Now I only go to clinics who offer sedation. I recommend insisting sedation is used. It makes an otherwise horrifying experience into one I don't even feel, or remember. Good luck, and take care.
    04/24/15
    Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
    ---------
    04/09/13
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    ----------
    03/13/12
    (PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)
  • TracyLynneTTracyLynne Posts: 598
    edited 01/07/2013 - 8:15 PM
    My pain doc's explanation for NOT doing a general anaesthetic for my last rhizotomy (being the first one that he had done on me) was that he needs feedback to ensure he is hitting the right nerves. I understand that, but there are many other procedures that require feedback as well, and the anaesthetist gives a bit of sedation. I will insist on this the next time I go in, as I am still feeling traumatized by the pain I endured with the last RFA!
  • I had that procedure today, I had tons of freezing and have only had one Advil since it was done.
    It was almost painless, and feels utterly fabulous right now, I think it must depend on the radiologist/Dr.
    I am so sorry you had that pain. I did tell this Dr. That last time I could feel the fire from hell and that's when he said let's up freezing! One down side, my leg collapsed when I tried to stand up! Was numb for 5 hours but who cares if the pain is gone!
    Take care of yourself and don't be afraid to ask for more meds!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.