Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie introduction

Hi, I'm Keith, 48 years old and live in the North East of the UK. Complete newbie to this and after reading a few of the posts on here, feeling more than a little scared! Given that my symptoms have been pretty short lived, compared to some of the brave souls on here, I feel like a bit of a wimp. However, a builder friend one said to me - "if you've never had back pain, you haven't had pain". I now know exactly what he means.

For the last 6 weeks I've been suffering with quite extreme lower left back pain,burning sensation with frequent stabbing type pain. Can't remember any specific initial trauma to the area. Treated initially with hot baths, alternating heat/ice packs and staying mobile. I've managed to continue my day to activities, including work and the symptoms, whilst painful, have been manageable.
However, for the last 4 days, my condition has worsened considerably and the pain is now intolerable, accompanied by severe stabbing pains across the left knee cap. It is extremely difficult to place my left foot down, as any weight bearing on the left leg, triggers excrutiating pain in the lower left back and hip area. I have no pain below the knee and no typical sciatica symptoms down the buttocks and rear of left leg into foot.
5 years ago, following a prolonged bout of unremitting sciatica, MRI scan revealed degeneration and partial prolapsed disc at L5. After approx 9-10 weeks this corrected it'self and fortunately i've not had any re-occurrences or symptoms since. Prior to this episode, I'd never experienced any back problems whatsoever.
The symptoms this time feel completely different and I'm worried that by continuing to try and walk around, I may be causing more damage. GP has prescribed Naproxen and dihydrocodeine, although neither has even taken the edge off the pain. Last few nights are the worst night I've had, with no sleep and 90mg of dihydrocodeine made no difference at all. GP has not ordered any further investigation at this stage.
Any advice, opinions or hope from fellow sufferers or knowledgeable people, would be very much appreciated.

• i am also from the uk {manchester] long standing chronic back pain and 3 operations /16 years in pain with many painful procedures under my belt ! last one was ALIF fusion .its been hell and getting worse ..i understand your friends quote about back pain ..so true ..many ladies on here say they would rather go through labour than have back pain ...maybe us men aren't so soft after all
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014