Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi All,

I have been reading the information on this forum for awhile and now that I'm heading for my second operation next week I thought I would join, It looks like I'm going to be down for a good while, I'm getting a fusion and laminectomy from L2 to S1. This will be my second OP the first was a decompression and fusion on L4/5 it's called a ILIF and it didn't help very much at all.

They have also put me on a fairly new med, Exalgo it is a time released narcotic that has really changed my life good and bad the good is pain is somewhat tolerable except for the spikes, the bad is it took me over a week until I felt I could drive a car again and I'm still in a daze most times. I can still take Oxycodone as needed as well. And can't wait for the day I can stop them all!!!

Anyhow don't want to bore you with all the fun details, but maybe I can help a little with what I have gone through and I know that you and all these previous discussions can help me in my journey forward.

Thank you very much.

Severe central stenosis L2,3,4,5 Multilevel degenerative disc disease/osteoarthritis.Surgery #1 Decompression,Fusion L4,L5.#2 Laminectomy with hardware L2-S1#3 Ant. fusion at L5-S1. Current pain meds, Exalgo,Oxycodone,Gabapentin.

• It sounds like you have a rough surgery ahead of you. Perhaps during your recovery you can give us some advice. Don't be afraid to jump in if you have anything to add to a thread. We have a great group here and will help all we can. We do occasionally have a disagreement or two, but pay no mind to that unless you want to jump in.lol . It appears you've already looked around some, but there is a lot to find out by searching around the site.

Once again, Welcome
  • starsinhereyessstarsinhereyes Posts: 583
    edited 12/01/2012 - 2:35 PM
    Glad you found us, but sad you had to. Wow sounds like you have big one coming up.
    Do you mind me asking ? why you have to have 2nd surgery?
    And what was the first?

I hope you have help after, and I hope you will find some comfort knowing we are with you all the way.
    Perhaps if your bored or feeling down you can come into chat.

Sometimes I just sign in and just sit a bit read the forums, and sometimes few ppl wander in. I just fixed my Java to get back in. For me I don't sleep at night much so late night chats help.
    I only had one level done, so I can't imagine what your recovery will be like, but many on here will be able to share.

Give it sometime for ppl to respond as there are many new members and plenty of posts to read thru.
    Again welcome and keep posting

neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.