Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bent over without thinking! :-(

Just when I was giving myself so much credit and not having a brace,
After 8 weeks post fusion surgery I bent over to pick something up from
The floor WITHOUT thinking No,don't do that until after I did it. I was so-o
Upset for days,but doesn't seem to do any damage that I can tell... .
Anyone done this and got by ok?? thank you all!!!

• As long as the hardware is put in nice and solid and holds you should be fine, Just avoid it next time if posible, At least untill you healed up real good, I am sure dr would just tell ya you did not break the hardware so sometimes its no big thing, Good luck on your recovery. Use a graber so you dont have to bend,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I bent over about two weeks after my second fusion. I had dropped my car keys in a parking lot. I probably shouldn't have been driving, now that I think about it. I did tell the doctor about at my follow up appointment, he told me to not make a habit out of it.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • wow! that was risky so soon,huh? thank you for replying,now I know I am
    Not the only one and hopefully no damage done to you either!!
    Take Care and best of wishes to you!!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    you forget the golden rules. Once you start to feel some what better, your focus is just not as concentrated on the things you should do and more importantly the things you should not do.

We will all do those "NOT" things from time to time. I think all of use have a debit/credit system when it comes to that.
    We can do those things for a while without any repercussions, but when our debits are all used up, something just might happen.

You would be surprised at just how solid a lumbar or cervical surgery is in just a few weeks. The body heals and the parts that need to heal the quickest find a way to do that. Its all the surrounding parts of our body that is not so forgiving.

In the future, if you do break one of the rules, besides getting worried about it, see how it feels the next day and the day after that. You might have zero to think about, and you might have a flare up. Flare ups will happen, its just a natural
    part of Spiney lifes. When it does happen, dont overreact. See how it feels, take a few corrective measures.. Ice/Heat, taking it easier for awhile, etc. If after a week and there is no change, then you might want to call your doctor. If at anytime, it gets worse, dont wait, call your doctor, discuss it with them.... It may be nothing, but you also need a piece of mind.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • :D at 8 weeks I was building a privacy fence. I think you should be okay.

(Of course I had brace)

Just don't push to much, it will bite you in the rear.
    Fusion L4-S1, T8-T9 herniation.
  • Midwest Gal:

I had two very unusual events happen within 90 days after my two level lumbar fusion. The first was about 6 weeks post surgery. I failed to exert self discipline and went out to the back yard and pruned a bush. That activity was OK. I fell when I was pushing the roll-away trash container and it got away from me. I fell straight into the trash can and verbalized several inappropriate words (who falls into a trash can?). My daughter rushed outside and ask if I were hurt. All I told her was that nobody saw anything and nothing happened (sure did not want my wife to know what happened; the difference in the pain level between a back ache and an ass chewing can be significant). Fortunately, I did not experience any subsequent pain.

The next strange event occurred at my mother-in-law's house. I was placidly sitting in a reclining chair when it fell all the way over spilling me backwards on the floor. This fall occurred 12 weeks after my surgery. Again, I was fortunate in that it did not result in any acute pain/damage.

HOWEVER, I am now 22 months post surgery and I have yet to grow a solid fusion. Maybe my unusual experiences did have some negative impact on my lumbar fusion. Who knows?

As recommended, share all experiences with your surgeon and remain positive. Mental motivation can do so much for our recoveries.

• thank you for your message. Sorry to hear your fusion is not solid as yet. What does
    Your surgeon say about that? Hopefully your accidents didn't cause anything serious but
    Maybe the fusion is just slow? I am super careful after my goof up bending to the floor.
    Your accidents couldn't be helped exactly so not your fault either... take care and
    best Wishes to you!