Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help..please...Horrific left foot pain..4 week postoperative spinal fussion L5

SallieSSallie Posts: 12
edited 12/02/2012 - 5:03 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all...help please... I am 4 weeks post op... Having severe pain in left foot. Needles, vice like squeezing, burning. Taking oxycodone /Acetaminophen. 5/325 every 4 to6hours... I put myself back on neurotin starting with low dose working way up, hoping to feel a difference .told Doc I was doing this when I I had no pain like this before surgery. I feel like I should not have had this surgery! This left nerve had been compresses for approx.4 years, no pain on the left side......I could no longer walk without pain on the right side..sciatic nerve and constant back pain. Form herniated disc, degenerative... Pre surgery was all right side related... This is terrible... The pin meds take the edge off barely.... Has anyone experienced this? Anything like this? Any information is greatly appreciated! Thank you... Kind regards.
Sallie De Silva

• DaveFusionDDaveFusion Posts: 476
    edited 12/03/2012 - 12:16 AM
    I am sorry to hear that you are having bad pain now on your left leg. Good thing is the right side has reduced.

You said that even though you didn't have left side pain, your left nerve was compressed for 4 years. Did I get this right? If so, one could understand that the nerve would now be regenerating since it was compressed for some time. If it wasn't compressed, well then this is a shame that the fusion has disturbed it. Did surgeon have to address stenosis on left side?

Is the neurotin starting to work now? I found pregabalin (similar to your med) helped me heaps for the nerve regeneration pain, although I had to go pretty high in dosage. I guess your familiar with your med's side effects because you've used it before.

How long untill you have you post op appt with your surgeon?

Hoping you we're able to sleep in spite of the nerve pain.
  • Hi Dave,
    Thank you for your response if one has not experienced this they just do not understand what is happening. It's like you had surgery, you should be better.

I had foot dop left foot in 2008'the left nerve has been compressed since then , but there was never pain on the left side. Left side is making up for it now, lol... Have to laugh to avoid screaming. The pain is crazy!
    I can't tell that the neurotin is working, imay not have reached the dosage needed, I just started taking it last week. You know how you have to gradually increase dosage. I did inform doc via telephone that I was going back on these meds hoping for relief. I did take this med prior to surgery. It did not hep then, and I thought abbé it was not effective cause the actual problem was not the nerve but the herniation. I am praying it will help with an actual nerve issue.

The word stenosis has never been mentioned...

I see the surgeon, I am going to stress how much pain this is causing , we will see....

I sleep when I can, not so much at night, it just seems worse at night...

I guess I just need to know there is light at the end ofvthe tunnel... The dr has said we are early in the game... I don't know what I expected. I know I didn't expect pain where there was none befor, lol..

I hope all is well with you! Again, thank you for responding, you're very kind to do so. Any advice is so appreciated , as are words of encouragement.

Kind regards,

Sallie De Silva
  • It is good you have left foot nerve pain. Ecause it probably means that regeneration and nerve repair is now happening.

Are you doing specific foot drop recovery exercises? I have a fantastic PT (who has a PhD) who has had me on a progressive series of exercises that have worked well to increase muscle strength and fatigue endurance for that foot. I would recommend being referred to a physiatrist or PT with specific spinal surgery and foot drop recovery expertise. Has the foot drop improved at all since surgery?

Neuropathic Pain Medication: suggest you read and discuss with your doctor, whom you seem to have a good working relationship with.
    (Haven't put the link here as it is against SH policy to link to websites that are potentially copyrighted.)
  • had ct scan last week... 3 mos pot op.... no bony fusion... dr believe all the led foot nerve pain is being caused by this...explained showing me the scan images... have had terrible back pain as well, which was not as bad pre surgery... i am scheduled for another spinal fusion 25 feb ... what do you think they will do differently to insure fusion? they used cage , autograph, screws, rods the last time... thanks... hope you're well....
    Sallie De Silva
  • I awoke from surgery this past summer with foot drop (not occuring preop) and other nerve pains. I knew before the surgery that nerve issues were going to occur because of the extent of repair that had to be done. I have to say, it was a very long couple of months however the neurotin has made a TREMENDOUS difference. It just takes awhile to work... in my case, about 2 months before I really felt the affects. In fact I was off all other pain meds relatively quickly. I am still taking the neurotin though I have significanly reduced the amount. I can tell though when I need to take another dose do to nerve pain. Try not to panic and give the neurotin and your body some time. I know that's easier said that done. Hang in there.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Sallie: I'm sorry to hear that your post op nerve regeneration pain did not improve and that your surgeon now thinks that revision surgery is required.

Not sure what he will do differently. That's a good question to ask of him though. Would be interested in hearing his answer.

Take care.