Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie intro

Bellagirl48BBellagirl48 Posts: 5
edited 12/02/2012 - 2:16 PM in New Member Introductions
Iam a 64 yr old female who has had back pain for the past 20 yrs off and on. I also have RA and osteoarthritis. I also had severe neuropathy in my legs and feet. I was tripping and falling, taking huge doses of gabapentin. Looking back, I am surprised no one thought much of my back pain to do testing other than an X-ray. This time however the pain lasted for 3months. I found a well qualified spine surgeon and he ordered a CT scan. That showed lumbar dextroscoliosis, DDD, spina bifida, L2-L5 bulging and L 5 over S 1. I did 3 rounds of PT and finally surgery on Mon., laminectomy and fusion. While in the hosp I had epidural pain relief, wonderful! I was sent home on Thursday with Percocet and can take 1-2 every 4-6 hours. For the most part the pain is getting more manageable but those ups and downs are tough! Guess what, the neuropathy has improved so much I don't take medicine for that anymore. I have learned so much rom this site already, I love reading others experiences.
I found that the walking program my dr. gave should be very helpful. It starts at 5 mins. Per day an increases slowly, weekly. Luckily for me, I live in the Midwest and we are having very nice weather for walking outside, I do use my walker though. I was a very active person before this and I intend to return to that lifestyle.

• Sounds like you have a winner of a start to your post fusion recovery.

As mentioned here many times regarding exercise, not too much and not too little. Slow and steady wins the race.

Soo pleased to here you are now not needing the nerve medication. Enjoy them there walks. I just got back from a really nice one, walking around a scenic ocean headland.
  • I have an autumn walk, but I'll bet your ocean view is beautiful. Thanks for the welcome!