Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can Anyone Help?

Hello everyone, I was just reading through some of these threads and hope that I could get some light shed on my situation.

I am a 23 year old male in decent shape who has played a mixture of sports for a number of years. My problem is that whenever I sit down for a period of time (a few minutes sometimes) I start to get a dull ache pain above my right tailbone to the right side. If I sit down for a longer period then I start to lose feeling in my right leg near the hamstring area and at times right down to my foot. If I run my hands down this area above the buttocks then I can physically feel that the right side is sticking out more than the left. This doesn't just happen sitting down, sometimes it occurs while laying down in bed or standing in the same place for a period of time.

I have had this problem for almost 8 months with no signs of relief. I have seen a couple of chiropractors, an osteopath and a doctor but nobody has been able to determine the problem or find a solution for it. I have stopped playing impact sports for this duration and have just started cycling and walking instead.

Prior to this pain I was playing a lot of football and had an incident where it felt like I tore my hamstring muscle during a match. I would start to cramp up a lot easier than usual as time progressed and I noticed that towards the end of a running session I would be in pain with each step. I am not sure whether the exercise is related but as I say, I have stopped it for a long time now and still not seen any recovery.

Can anyone help me out or at least give suggestions? I would appreciate absolutely anything!


  • See a spine specialist, You mention you seen 1 doctor but what kind of doctor you never mentioned, What tests have you had done ? Mri ? Xray ? Mylogram? Discogram ? There are too many tests to mention to find the cause and only a spine specialist can get you on the right track, Along with pain specialists who also do nerve block and other injections to try to find the cause of the pain,

    Its never simple with spine, You need to find out and have more info from specialists on the cause, good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Agree with everything said by Alex - you need to see a spine specialist, and hopefully they will rule out a spine problem because they are complex and difficult to treat / manage. I would also be careful about seeing any other service provider such as an osteopath or chiropractor or whatever until you have a diagnosis - because they may inadvertently cause further damage if they are just guessing the problem. A good thread to read also is the sticky on the back neck surgery forum that discusses neurosurgeon verses orthopaedic surgeons, so you can think about who you may go to. Good luck.
  • Thanks a lot for the comments guys, I will see a spine specialist then.
  • Hello, given the fact that you are only 23, make sure that you stress to the doctor that you are seriously in pain and that you are NOT seeking drugs. I was in you situation for years. I started having trouble when I was 20 and never found a doctor that would take me seriously until I was 27 and told my current surgeon that I didn't want med, but wanted to be taken seriously and have a thorough exam. and yes, the others are right, find a spine specialist. In fact, find an ortho and a neuro. Good luck and keep us posted.
Sign In or Register to comment.