Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Short hospital stays

Hi everyone,I hope all are doing as good as can be expected.Please excuse any spelling,grammar or sentence construction problems as I am not feeling well. I was part of the November surgery buddies club but I gave up looking for that sub forum and decided to post here.Just got sent home Saturday afternoon 12/2. I had a 5 level posterior cervical fusion.This is after having an anterior cervical fusion in Aug (also 5 levels).I n short I have been sent home too early.I can barely walk,cannot pull up my own pants,no activity over 30 seconds before I must lay down again.The pain feels like the worst case of "road-rash" between my shoulder blades possible (no there is not any actual damage).I had to beg to stay an extra day.This extra day did not involve the continuation of the IV meds that gave me some relief.No visits from my suregon to talk things over,nothing.I was told to get an appointment with my primary care with in 5 days.I wonder what planet these people are from,you do not call up and get an appointment within 5 days,at least not with my doctor. In closing,this surgery is an extremely painful operation (I would take two anteriors for one posterior).Do not expect the appeal process to help much as they simply let you stay the minimum and withold the meds you wanted to stay to get.Think long and hard before you let someone do this to you. I wanted to go to a rehab hospital as this pain is so intense, but this plan also fell on deaf ears.The hospital uses the "you do not want to stay here long as there are a lot of bugs here" I say,clean the hospital better.Extremely painful operation.Hope you guys have a better day than me.

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 12/03/2012 - 11:03 AM
    It sounds like you are having a really rough time of it.
    I have heard that posterior neck fusion is worse to recover from than anterior.
    I think the fact that you have had 5 levels fused is also part of why this is so hard. That and also the fact that this was a second surgery to deal with your problems.

What happened to cause your problems?

It sounds from your post that you couldn't find the November Surgery Buddies thread, so I will post a link to help you find it. We have all had our surgeries now, and most of us have posted to say how we are doing.

I think out of the neck surgeries, yours is the most invasive, along with CoffeeBean who also had a 5 level posterior fusion on 7th November. We haven't heard from her yet.

Wishing you less pain and better mobility soon.
    Take care.
  • Hi Jelly,your link was much appreciated.I did not have any type of accident.My Doc thinks that my issues were caused by my lifes work, 35+ years as an auto mechanic, the fact I weight trained,heavily,for over 10 years (no drug use) and I spent a lot of time in front of the computer monitor (over 10 hrs per day) when I decided to train for another career.It is funny now how I am advised to simply "take your disability".This entire plan was so I would not "just take my disability". One thing that got worse (meaning after both the anterior and posterior) is I cannot raise my right arm to even shoulder level.If I hold my arms down (towards my knees) I have normal hand strenght.

• Your body, and especially your nerves have had a hard year! Two big spinal surgeries in one year is a lot for anyone or anynerve to deal with.

I have quite often read about people having a 'weak' arm, especially lifting it up, after neck fusions, especially posterior fusions. I think that in most cases, especially when there is still some movement, with time they heal. I would definately speak to your surgeon at your post surgery follow up appointment about it if it is not resolved. Perhaps you could read about C5 nerve palsy. Some patients have absolutely no ability to lift their arm, but things still resolve, although I am not sure over what time scale.

I know that in recovery after my surgery, one of the things they had me do was to lift both arms. I think that as the surgeon had worked on my C4/5, not only to get the pressure off the spinal cord, but also to open up the foramen to get pressure off the nerve roots, they were checking that I still had movement of my arms from the affected muscles. After about a week, I started to get awful pain in the shoulder of my left arm and trying to do anything at all with that arm caused a lot of pain. Things have settled down again now and I am able to use it normally.

I think we are both going to have to look after our necks now! I haven't been in an accident either, but do have a lot of degeneration throughout my neck. Actually I have degeneration throughout my spine!