Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI Surgery in Canada

Is anyone from Canada? I tried to contact SI Bone and they do not have any doctors in Canada which perform this operation. At this point I have been diagnosed with SIJD, Disc Bulges L4/L5 & L5/S1 & Pelvic Floor Dysfunction and I can not manage to get a referral to an Ortho or Neuro... I have been the PT for over 13 months (5 months with my current PT who specializes in Pelvic Pain), No relief...I have tried everything under the sun to fix this and it is completely destroying my life, I go for more SI blocks in 2 weeks. I live in on Ontario and I'm wondering if anyone else in Canada has any luck with doctors here or have gone the the US for surgery?




  • PSPPS Posts: 6
    edited 04/25/2013 - 2:32 PM
    Hi Christi
    I also live in Ontario (Ottawa). I have been suffering for 2 years and cannot find a doctor who can perform the diagnostic tests for si joint dysfunction (spect/ct r injection ) or piriformis syndrome (physical examination ) and nerve conduction and emg. I have seen a GP, 3 sports medicine doctors, a rheumatologist and an orthopaedic surgeon. The rheumatologist was the only doctor to do a physical exam, but not the specific tests. I am now researching the best US option to pursue and what the cost wil be. I have been told that I have ischeal gluteal bursistis, then piriformis syndrome, then si joint dysfunction, then mechanical lumber spine problems. All of these diagnoses were made with no physical examination or tests! It's hopeless here, the doctors seem so over burdened that they just want to,pass you off on someone else. They do not have the expertise or the wish to help, they just want to fit in as many Ohip billings as possible and everywhere the wait lists are months and months. If you know of doctors in Ontario who can diagnose si joint/piriformis please reply. Thank-you
  • Eileen64EEileen64 Posts: 1
    edited 03/24/2015 - 8:42 PM
    Hi PS: My husband suffers from S I disorder due to an injury. We had to travel to Toronto for a diagnosis. For a diagnosis we recommend Dr xxxx. He runs a clinic called The xxxxx. He is an excellent Dr and administers various treatments. He has not recommended surgery and says he has not seen good outcomes. However, it appears only US doctors have had the training from the previous post. Dr K recommends certain physio (especially swimming) designed to lessen the symptoms. He reviewed my husbands meds and switched it up some while discontinuing others. He is very thorough and while very busy, always takes the time to answer our questions. Hope this helps.
  • PSPPS Posts: 6
    edited 05/09/2013 - 12:51 PM
    Thank-you so much for replying! I really appreciate the information. Where do you live? Did this doctor request all of the diagnostic tests including the injection of anesthetic 2 times to confirm si joint dysfunction? Do you know what treatments he prescribes? Did/does your husband have symptoms in his legs as well? I'm asking as I believe I have quite a severe case also due to an accident. At present I have sciatic type symptoms in both my legs. My doctor has requested a therapeutic steroid injection into the joint, which I will be having next week. Also I have been in physio and exercising daily for many months but I am not getting better. This is why I am inquiring about surgery. I believe they do it in Ontario, but only under certain conditions and as a last resort.
  • Helen StailosHHelen Stailos Posts: 2
    edited 11/27/2014 - 7:25 AM
    Hello Christa, PS and a few other fellow Canadians!

    My husband has been suffering from a separated SI joint for at least 6 years. It has altered his quality of life and has caused him great pain, loss of work, etc. I have been researching this for at least 4 years. I have been in touch with SI Bone about their I-Fuse surgery and after many tests and pain management treatments, it has been ruled out that he needs this. The kicker is, no one in Canada can do this surgery till now. It has been to my knowledge, that doctor's here in Canada do not know enough about SI joint dysfunction and therefore, getting an appointment with an Ortho or someone else, the chances are slim to none. No one in Canada even knows how to fix this.

    I recently followed up with SI Bone in California, as I have been in touch with them for quite a while and they informed me that there is now a trained surgeon in Quebec.

    We live in Toronto and we are willing to travel to Quebec to see this surgeon.

    I have left two messages at his office, but the voice greeting is in French. I am not fluent and I am wondering if the people in the office there do not speak any English. I will continue calling till I reach someone.

    I am hoping that if enough of us call, we will get a response, some help and I am sure that this surgeon will be pleased with the extra business, as he is the only one, for now.

    Let me know if any of you want his contact information.

    Try to hang in there with the pain.....I know how bad this is.....
  • Hello Helen,

    Thank you for posting your information in regards to the Dr. in Quebec. Have you had any luck in receiving a response from their facility as of yet? Has your husband had the operation? Any information would be helpful and appreciated. I too suffer from SIJD and back and joint issues since my motorcycle accident just under 6 years ago. I had three years of physio therapy with little progress as far as pain relief and the exercises/treatment that I was doing did help to make the muscle stronger, joint pain increased. As I am sure many others reading this can relate. Quality of life has been totally altered and it would be nice to be "back" to normal. Is the cost of the procedure covered through healthcare? My accident occurred in Ontario but I am now living with family in Nova Scotia.

    Thank you in advance,

  • Helen StailosHHelen Stailos Posts: 2
    edited 03/24/2015 - 8:39 PM
    Hello Richard,

    I'm so glad you reached out and I am very sorry to learn of your accident. I see what my husband, Rob goes through and I feel terribly for all of you who suffer on the daily, every hour of the day.

    I finally did get through to the ortho surgeons office recently. Unfortunately, not with any success. The secretary who answered the phone did not speak any English. She seemed extremely annoyed by the fact that I could not communicate, so she put another woman on the phone who spoke broken English and she was very rude. I explained that we are from the Toronto area and are willing to travel to see Dr. xxxxx. She just said "no!" I kept explaining to her how desperate we are at this point just for an opportunity and she repeatedly said "no". When I asked her for the reason why she is saying "no" , she said "no" again. I feel that I was discriminated against, due to the fact that I am not fluent in French. I will try again, but this time, I will get a French speaking friend to call and see what happens. I will let you know what happens with that experiment. In the meantime, I will send a private message your way with his phone number. Please call and let me know if you had any success. His contact information was given to me by the nurse at SI Bone head office. I have been in contact with SI Bone for at least two years on finding someone who could do the procedure.

    I think if we push hard enough, we can get a few more ortho surgeons in Canada to adopt the SI Bone / I-Fuse procedure, train and help many people who are suffering. Let's face it, it's good for business, but most importantly, it's good for those who are suffering when they don't have to. I'm know all of you sufferers want to get back to work and everyday life tasks. Managing the pain is very temporary and has too many side effects.

    I hope that you are holding up ok and don't forget to let me know if you got anywhere with calling this surgeon's office. Anyone else wanting the phone number, please message me and I will gladly pass it along.

    Hang in there,
Sign In or Register to comment.