Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

trying this again - hi guys

cps techccps tech Posts: 6
edited 12/05/2012 - 1:03 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, and oops! I was a little confused (and apologetic) and wasn't sure of the proper forum to inquire about this.

My post got locked for the following reason:

Forum Rules prohibit members from asking analysis of any diagnostic tests. And also for members to respond to such requests - PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULE

What I actually said in my post was:

I'm sharing my MRI report NOT to have it analyzed (I read that's a no-no here) but just to share my condition.

I did say I did not want it analyzed so I'm not sure what rule I broke and sorry if I did. Maybe we are not allowed to post MRI results *at all* and I missed that. After reading through the various stickies, I thought we were supposed to share our condition, and I thought that people would understand it better by reading that then if I tried to explain it in my words.

Anyway, new here. Scheduled for surgery in December, looking forward to learning from everyone. Very sorry to get started off on the wrong foot.

Scheduled for Dec. 18 anterior cervical decompression and interbody fusion C6-7


  • Hi. What surgery are you having ? Sorry you got off on the wrong foot on your previous post, Not sure what you posted, but its much easier just simply explain what your condition is as you were told from your doctor this way others can respond if they can relate to your condition and if they had same kind of surgery,

    Mri reports are often posted and its too complicated for anyone to give a good opinion on an MRi as even doctors dont always agree on these reports,

    So simple intro and in simple terms laying out medical condition and what tests were done to confirm or rule out condition will get you beter responces ! Good luck,

    And welcome to spine health,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi Welcome,
    It is always helpful to read thru some tips for beginners. When you make your profile you can share some history there. It helps.
    Any who your here and all tho glad you found SH sad you had to.
    So few ? Did you injure your spine ? And How?
    What did doc say? diagnosis
    I agree with Alex( don't tell him) haha Most all docs I went to just wanted to see the disc.
    My advice if this is all new to you, Get your disc after each test.
    Keep medical journal with ?? for doc and what answered.

    I also write down my pain levels and since I had so many different things I am glad I wrote down all the meds they tried me on.
    I have a binder, and when I go to new doc its very helpful to them, since I have had sooo many tests.
    sorry got off subject.
    I do hope you have gotten few opinions, I had 5 different surgeons.

    As patients it is up to us to do research. This way you know what the heck docs talking about and you can ask the ??
    Please give us more info, how it is you first went to doc, what type of doc?
    what surgery are you having ? And why?

    Thanks and Welcome
    There's tons of info and so many different spine issues, so read and post.
    I'm not in medical field but I'm glad to give you tips, if I can.

    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Thanks guys.

    I've had pain, numbness and weakness issues for a few months, and have been to the chiropractor 2x, medical doctor 4x, physical therapy 12x with traction, e-stim and ultrasound (plus doing exercises at home as suggested by PT, who says she anticipates my problem will be chronic and PT will help but will not be a long term fix).

    I've had an X Ray and an MRI, and a consult with an orthopedic surgeon, who has suggested surgery based on the fact that the measures I've taken haven't helped at all with numbness and weakness in my affected (dominant) arm/hand.I work full time and go to school full time and it has been very difficult with all of the writing and typing especially. I'm left handed and it affects my left arm/hand.

    I've been prescribed: Hydrocodone with acetominophen, metaxalone, naprosyn for my bulging disc/pinched nerve issues, and then later, citalopram (for anxiety over said issues), iron, (already low and the NSAID didn't help things) and colace (probably self-explanatory). I am not currently taking them all due to stomach upset.

    I didn't do any one thing to injure it - woke up that way one day. I have been in two side impact car crashes over the last 10 years, I'm sure that didn't help. I have been to the chiropractor a couple of times each year for the last few years due to my neck being out of alignment. That might not have been a good move.

    My probloem is a left paracentral disc protrusion at C6-C7 extending into the foramen. There is mild central canal stenosis and bilateral foraminal narrowing at C4-C5 and C5-C6 related to ostephyte formation. So I guess bulging disc with some narrowing, bone spurs.

    I'm scheduled for: Anterior cervical decompression and interbody fusion C6-C7 to take place December 18. I wanted to wait until I was finished with school in May but the surgeon said that it's better to do it sooner to avoid further nerve damage, so then I wanted it done in December since I've met my $6000 deductible.

    I hope I'm making the right decision with surgery. I guess I have time to reconsider.
    Scheduled for Dec. 18 anterior cervical decompression and interbody fusion C6-7
  • If you want to make sure you are making the right decision you can always see another spine specialist for more then just 1 opinion that way you are assured you are making the right decision and you wont have any regrets if you know for fact that surgery is what needs doing,

    Another dr might feel diferent and might go with less invasive surgery but who knows for sure, Only 1 way to find out !

    Best of luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 12/05/2012 - 7:32 AM
    Ps. I just realised you mention this only been going on a few months if i read it correctly , Few months is not a very long time at all when often many wait for even a year to see if they get beter before jumping in to surgery,

    I know many people that waited and got beter with time and they learned to manage without surgery so i recomend yes get a 2 nd opinion before you jump in to something you might not be ready for,

    Thats just my opinion !
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I had the ACDF surgery Nov 19th and recovering quite nicely, and yours sounds similar- tried all the other things and still had the arm pain. I really wanted to avoid surgery, but timing wise it needed to be now or a few years down the road. I also did this year because of my high deductible. You mentioned Orthopedic surgeon, just curious why not Neurosurgeon? Maybe get their opinion too, to compare? My feeling was anything involving cervical area, wanted Neuro vs. Ortho. Also, find out as much as you can about recovery, you sound very busy with work and school, surgery will really affect those. I am not wearing a collar postoperative, so I think my recovery is easier than with a neck brace, which weakens the neck muscles, but each surgeon has their own beliefs about this. I wish you the best of luck. Check the post for December surgery buddies- those of us for November have been very helpful and supportive of each other. Gives you support after surgery as well
  • cps techccps tech Posts: 6
    edited 12/08/2012 - 8:32 AM
    Thanks again for the input. I do appreciate it.

    To answer some of the questions, the orthopedic surgeon was recommended to me by people who had similar procedures done by him. He specializes in neck and spine. I checked his licensing and reviews and everything looked good.

    I was initially surprised by his recommendation that we proceed to surgery, and yes, the new symptoms have only gone on a few months. I have had neck problems on and off for a few years but I usually seek chiropractic treatment, which did not help this time.

    The new symptom is the weakness and numbness. I have very little strength in my dominant arm, and that is what concerns me. In fact, I have more weakness than I do pain although the pain is there. I would rate my weakness level higher than my pain level.

    Some of my classes are chemical dependency classes so I'm very concerned about the potential for addiction to the pain meds that I do take.

    I actually felt pretty confident about my decision to proceed with surgery when I left the visit, but listening to people's opinions since then is why I've been wavering. Reading the online stories of people who still suffer after the surgery hasn't helped either.

    One thing I've noticed though, is that most of the people I've talked to *off*line have very positive or mostly positive results with the surgery. I guess researching the topic online, where people are more likely to report bad results than good ones, has had me questioning my decision.

    For now, I still have the surgery scheduled. My pre-op testing is next Tuesday with my regular physician so I will discuss it more with her then.
    Scheduled for Dec. 18 anterior cervical decompression and interbody fusion C6-7
  • You mention tht your weakness is a larger issue than pain. That was the reason I prceeded with a laminectomy was increasing weakness in my left, dominant, arm. I waited too long and have some permanent nerve damage and as you will probably hear once you have surgery it can increase stress on other areas of the spine and lead to other issues down the road.
    I had the laminectomy in 2008 and now facing a 3 level fusion being put off by doing nightly traction, when that ceases to help I'll have the surgery.
    I do wish you the best with your decision and your surgery.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • All the best for you surgery today.
Sign In or Register to comment.