Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 months post-op L5 S1 MicroD

Hi all! Its been a minute since I checked in. Hope everyone is on the road to recovery.

Tomorrow marks the 3 month mark for me. It has been quite the roller coaster ride & still is. But it does seem that the highs keep getting higher and the lows less severe. My impovement over the past 3-4 weeks has been dramatic compared to the 6 weeks previous in which I had a long setback & felt I was just spinning my wheels.

I am now swimming weekly at the gym without ill effects. Still doing PT which does still flare me up a bit almost every time. 2x per week PT & 1 day at the gym seems to be working well. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays gives me good time to rest in between.

I hope to be done with PT by end of the month. I am lucky enough to have 2 insurances which allows me to still be going to PT. It helps me tremendously and is still needed in my opinion.

If I could say one thing to any new members nearing or in early stages after MicroD it is to expect a 4-6 month recovery, not 4-6 weeks. If I knew that I could have probably saved myself some mental turmoil.

My goal is still to be as close to 100% as I can get by summer. Maybe even better than 100%. I was not overweight or extremely out of shape before surgery. But now I have quit smoking & I rarely if ever exercised. So in those senses I may end up better than ever! At least that is what I hope.

Other than that, I still like having my collection of pills handy. Esp the anti-inflammatory. After PT or the gym it helps alot. And some nights when the numbness goes down the leg out of nowhere, Its nice to have a half a vicodin. I would say on average I take a prescription pill 2x week. Aleve 3x per week. and nothing the other 2.

Thats it for now, talk to yall soon!
L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!

• Sally711SSally711 Posts: 156
    edited 12/05/2012 - 5:26 AM
    So happy to read of your recovery progress. great news and inspirational for us all! Keep up the supeb recovery!
  • Been wondering how you were getting on. Hope you are not back to driving those lathes 2 days a week! Get back to you desk job now! and make sure your get up and move often! ;)

Great to here your good progress. Keep at it and you will probably be 100% by summer. *clap*
  • humanshishkabobhhumanshishkabob Posts: 65
    edited 12/05/2012 - 3:00 PM
    Ben-It is great to hear that you are doing so much better. I start PT next week and am really hoping it can help. I've got a bunch of questions about how I can safely build myself back up after 9 weeks out. Walking has been good.
    I drove to the grocery store today for the 1st time since surgery which felt good until I think I overstayed my welcome and had a bad painful drive home. I had a return of my original sciatic pain all afternoon which has been discouraging--so it is good to know that you are doing better after a rough road. Thanks for the good progress report-

L5S1 discectomy/laminectomy for large extruded herniated disc strangling nerve
  • Glad to hear you are making positive progress Ben!

I agree with you that it seems a lot of literature and Drs understate the recovery time period, or at least do not clarify the difference between "recovered" and "feeling yourself again"...

Keep up the good work!

• Thanks for the replies & encouragement!

Dave, not back to the machines yet but I think I am close. Maybe another 4-6 weeks but gotta ease in just like everything else. Running the machines wouldnt be a problem. Its the setup, the wrenching, tightening and lifting. Some days I sure wish I could. Making parts so much less stressful than the BS I deal with at the desk.

Kabob, I hear ya. I don't have to drive far for work. Thank God! I am just finally pretty okay with half hour to 45 min rides. Got 8 hours in the car Christmas weekend that I am NOT looking forward to. Good thing the wife would rather drive anyways. And yes I have dealt with the sciatic pain also through setbacks & flare ups. The last few times its showed up it has been more numbness and tingling than pain so I think thats a good sign.
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • mp