Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need information and experience

cldc2000ccldc2000 Posts: 2
edited 12/06/2012 - 7:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My doctor is XXXXXX in Santa Barbara. My L3-4 is severely degenerative, bone on bone. My L4-5 is bulging and causing severe pain. My surgeon wants to do a fusion on L3-4 and a ADR on L4-5. I've had a CT and a discogram done and it was positive that those disc were the ones causing me my pain. I've had numerous 2nd and 3rd opinions and everyone agrees that this is what needs to be done. I would like to know if anyone has had this type of surgery done and what it is like. My doctor was recommended by a friend that had a successful ADR done a few years ago and by my lawyer. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Post edited. It is a forum violation to mention specific doctor's names. Please read our Forum Rules and FAQ

• If your friend had good results with the ADR then you already know prety much how its done right ?
    My ADR at l4l5 caused nerve damage so i myself have nothing good to say about it,

For some people it seems to work out ! There is a lot of info you can read about the fusion and the ADR procedure here on spine health along with some videos so check it out,

Every surgery has its risk of complications, Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • ...even if 20 people have a positive experience, it doesn't mean that your unique physiology won't cause different results.
    Nothing better than a friend whom you trust for recommendations rather than a bunch of strangers, although I get the sense that you were hoping to be able to have people see this surgeon's name so they can say whether they had any negative feedback about him personally, I learned, too, that this forum does not all naming the doctor.

I wish you well. Surgery is scary. Listen to the surgeon, be patient during recovery and realize that the healing process can take a long while to see the results. In some instances, you may see positive results immediately, so just be patient.

Good luck to you!
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion