Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Acinetobacter Baumanii infection after cervical/lumbar l

I'm so frustrated 4 months after cervical disectomy and lumbar laminectomy surgery still dealing with an Acinetobacter Baumanni infection that is now has infected my hip and knee. I live in a small town of 6500 and the closest city is 25 miles away with 25000 people. Neither one of the medical facilities know how to deal with this infection because it is so rare. The pain is excruciating especially in my sacium where the surgon used an instrument to widen the opening to access the herniated disc, my hip is swollen along with my thigh, knee and foot. Each time I go to the Urgent Care or my Dr. I don't think they realize how sick I am. So far the hospital gave me 2 days days outpatient IV antibiotics, and 2 oral antibiotic 10 day treatments. Unfortunately, 3 weeks later the infection is back worse than before. So urgent care gave me an antibiotic shot and a 10 oral antibiotic. Now I'm finished with the antiobiotic, still feel sick and have the pain in my lower spine, swelling in hip, thigh, knee and foot. Please someone help me I need to do next, because obviously the medical facilities here don't understand how to deal with this infection. Thank you for your assistance. I just want to get better before Christmas and have my life back.

• Hi. Sorry you have this complication.

I can't speak from personal experience, however, this sounds serious.

A number of current members do have experience and have related them here. They will be able to offer their experience.

In the meantime, can I suggest you use the search function and put infection into it. You may be able to find their stories. And there may be articles on this subject in this web site.

All the best.

• charryccharry Posts: 5,657
    edited 12/08/2012 - 5:23 AM
    Next time you go back to UCC with a fever or symptoms, ask to see the Infectious Control Drs. They will let the Dr. know the proper administration for medications as you may need IV meds at home for awhile if you're not getting better. Only 2 IV meds and oral antibioitcs may not be enough and you may want to consider going to the largest city close to you but perhaps the Urgent Care Dr. can consult with Infectious Disease Dr. at a larger hospital in town. Not saying this is infectious disease it's just they are experts at controlling the infection so you will get rid of it.

Just giving my past experience and not giving medical advice. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN