Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Consult w/neuro today... 12 1/2 days!

Met with the neuro today. He went through all of the basics of surgery.

He also told me know won't know how much bone he will have to take until he gets in and see's how much scar tissue I have. He said he may just have to do a small laminotomy (possibly laminectomy), on one level, and be done, or he may have to do several levels... I will know when I wake up! :-)

I am DREADING the recovery of another procedure, but it will be worth it.

I didn't know this, but I will be in a neck brace for a month! Blah... I only had to wear one for a week with my fusion. I do understand why, totally, but I don't have to like it. :-P

I will be staying over one night.

I asked him what he plans to give me for surgical pain and he asked what I am currently on (Fent patch 25mcg, 5mg Percs, and Flexeril). He said he is just going to up my Percocets to 7.5mg, and to take two every four hours. I am hoping this covers my surgical pain.... I am calling my pain doc to run it by him and see what he thinks, although last time I was at his office and told him I am going to go ahead with the perm implant, he said "it's a really simple, painless procedure. You will only need pain meds for surgical pain for maybe a few days." What! From what I have read, it's not simple, like getting an injection! I think he may be a little confused on which procedure I am having. I am getting a paddle, not just leads, so there is more involved. Oh well, we shall see.

Anyhow, I am trying to be in a "Christmas" mood, but it's just not there. Normally I am ready to bake, shop (I am not a big shopper, I hate the rudeness of some ppl, crowds, and all that, but I do like getting gifts for my kids, nieces, and nephew :)), etc., but I don't feel like doing anything but sit on my butt or lie in bed. Sad, sad, sad. I told my husband that I wish I didn't have so much going on because if I didn't, I'd just take sleeping pills for the next 12 days and sleep my way to December 20 :-)

Oh, he said he's placing the paddle at C2, which seems high, but he said that's the best placement to get the best coverage.

Well, I am off to bed :-)

• RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 12/09/2012 - 9:27 PM
    Mel its getting close and it will be worth it. The date will sure mess with Christmas. I hope your not planning much for the day. I still do not know why the doctors think this is so easy to recover from.
    When my lumbar unit was implanted I had four laminectomys at t7 8 9 and 10 I believe it was. They tested it and had to move it higher for my coverage. I was told my cervical trial was up to C2 so a paddle there sounds right.
    They should be able to test it once its in place.

The pain meds sound about right. I was on three norco 10s and three percoset10s before surgery and I went home the same day. My insurance had pre approved a night stay but my doctor wanted me out asap. There was a possible bad germ running around. That night at home at 11 o'clock the pain hit and my meds did not cover it. I called the ortho on call and she told me to drop the percs and do two norco 10s every four hours or one every two hours which ever worked better. Two every four helped most of it but not all. With your patch you are ahead of that but I would ask Your PM what the Max you can do the first few days.

Last words of advice from me and my experience as we all are differant. I found at night and even during the day for the first week or two to set a alarm for each Med time. I say this because if I slept through a Med time the pain increased and was then hard to catch up on. Now I know why they wake us up in the hospital and ask if we need pain meds. I use to think that was so stupid until they showed me time control is very important the first week or maybe two. If by chance if after surgery they tell you to increase a Med your on make sure you have enough or they write a new script with the increase on it or most insurances will not fill it because of the thirty day supply. Do you know what I mean by this?

I hope you are the one that this is a real easy recovery for. Who knows maybe you will be out there doing the after Christmas sales. Well try to get into the holiday spirit anyway or maybe it will be Santa out there with your paddle
    HO HO HO
    Good Luck I hope this helps you
  • Thanks Rick!

I always set an alarm and so does my husband. I've slept through getting pain meds, it's not pretty.

My husband and I shopped ALL day yesterday and it really kicked my but. Makes me realize why I turned into a hermit and don't do much. My neck and back were on fire by the time we got home. The only plus side to this is that we finished almost all of our shopping. Now it's just a few things here and there, which my husband plans to finish with my sister when she gets in town.

As for Christmas, I have family coming in, but have already warned them that I may be a vegetable sitting on the couch smiling every so often :-) my mom is taking a few days off, my sister will be in the Saturday following my surgery, and my husband is taking off as much as he can. He's in the food industry (he works for a big italian food distributor. He's a mechanical engineer), so this time of year is busy. I will have someone here with me all the time. Plus, my boys are ten and 16, so they can help out.

Well, I'm off to study... It's finals week! Yay!