Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Howdy All

My name is Dave, I am a veteran of three back surgeries. The last being a fusion of L4-L5, L5-S1 in September of 2001. I have been fine until about three months ago, I was even into mountain bike racing and hiking, etc, making sure I kept everything strengthened up. But I think my back has finally given up. Lol. Ten years of no pain after a fusion surgery, I'll take it. I joined here to read some past posts to educate myself on other peoples post surgery experiences. I did not have health insurance three months ago so I have been sucking it up until I did, finally got some on Dec 1st. So I am off to the doc soon for a checkup. Tons of spine pain in several areas and a lot of pressure like symptoms in my hips, it really feels like something that was fused is pushing or coming loose or something. Will find out soon. I've even got a sensation in the bottom of my right foot that feels like a vibrating cell phone in my shoe, it been constant for three days. Kind of annoying, and a sign that something is obviously out of whack. Glad to meet you all.

• Sorry you are here. Years of people's experiences here that you are welcome to look at.

Hopefully you have a good surgeon that finds the cause and fixes it quickly for you.

It's great to hear you looked after yourself since surgery in 2001. Are you on meds at moment?
  • I have a prescription for flexeril. X-rays are ordered, just got to get in and get them done. I've always been really good at keeping positive, but I've got a six year old daughter and a chocolate lab that I play with constantly and this is REALLY hampering that and I'm not too awful happy with the situation this morning. The late 90s and early 2000s were some bad years for me with back problems and some memories are pouring back in. I'll get it kicked though. I cannot even explain my pain very well, just feels like my back kind of weakened enough and fell apart.

Looks like you had a similar surgery to what I had in 2001, (L4-L5, L5-S1 fusion with instrumentation). Degenerative disc disease was the culprit apparently. And other areas were affected but had not progressed yet, ten years later I am a little worried. How are you recovering??? Hope like heck it helped you.
  • Know what you mean. I get a twinge and 'Oh no, I remember that pain' and memories come back to one.

My recovery is progressing slowly but well. PT is taking quite a bit of time but am seeing the benefits. It's good to walk with a much less noticeable limp. (Foot drop recovering)

Do you have a date for you doctors appt?
  • Do you have a date for you doctors appt?

No date yet, I'm to go get x-rays - next week - then schedule an appointment.

When I was in physical therapy after my fusion, it seemed like forever. I eventually started getting on one of those recumbent stationary bikes though, and whammo, after a week or so-- no pain at all. That is how I ended up racing mountain bikes (with some warnings from my dr), I got on an old mtn bike I had and started slowly riding around the neighborhood then trails and the pain never came back. Until recently, and I might add my exercising pretty much stopped 18 months ago or so. Guess I should have stayed on the bike, that was apparently what was holding me together.

Stick with the PT religiously Dave, it will continue to help, I promise.