Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 weeks since discectomy with fusion on T6-T7

I thought I would give an update in the thoracic/upper back pain forum as well since today is my 5 week mark. I am actually doing quite well! I was pretty depressed last week wondering if I would end up struggling with chronic life long pain as I had went back and read every past post I could find from others that had thoracic disc surgery. Most of the people still experienced pain long after surgery which really concerned me especially considering I never really had much pain prior to surgery, I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel though as my pain level has greatly decreased over the past 4 days and my energy level and stamina is coming back. The tightness I feel in my lung is still there but I am getting periods of relief now there and relief from back pain. I do not feel any muscle weakness in my legs, (no more muscle spasms either). I just want to give people hope that may need the surgery one day. I think there is so much fear about it and I hope to relieve some of that. I am 39 and was in good shape with no previous health issues and no history of back problems outside of a small curve from scoliosis that never caused me any problems. I am still early in recovery but an extremely hopeful I will have a full recovery and normal life again. I am glad I did not wait until I had more damage and was falling or losing control of my bladder.

My success of the day: I loaded my dishwasher, cleaned up my kitchen and have not needed a pain pill yet today. I'm not over doing it and just adding some light chores as I can handle. I can't wait for 5 more weeks to go by!

• That is awesome Paula. I am so happy for you and it is great to hear a positive outcome to thoracic surgery. I still have hope that one day my pain will diminish :)

• paulayonoppaulayono Posts: 57
    edited 12/12/2012 - 4:27 PM
    Thank you Kelli. I still have a long road but i'm happy things are looking up much more now.
    I hope your pain is relieved, your still early on too, stay positive and know I'm here if you want to talk, vent etc. :)
  • dbhamddbham Posts: 42
    edited 12/12/2012 - 6:41 PM
    Glad is going great with your healing. Keep it up!!!
    L4/5 herniation13mm sequestered fragment L5 root compromise.
    L3/4 annular tear.
    L2/3 3mm bulge and annular tear.
    Tens mpo combo system
    Epidural L4 L5 28Nov12 / 12Dec12 / 26Dec12. All no relief :( SO FAR
    MicroD L4 L5 May 23 2013
  • Thank you! I'm happy to be going in the right direction :)
    edited 12/14/2012 - 1:30 PM
    Hi Anelsen15

This symptom came on lastly and really freaked me out. The orthopedic surgeons I had seen all asked me if I was off balance, fallen, or had muscle weakness. I never was off balance and never fell, in fact I had good balance, but suddenly I started feeling muscle weakness in the front of my thighs (both legs at the same time) and twitches here and there. It started to happen often and I got my surgery moved up from 12/18 to 11/6 because i was worried about it getting worse. I was hoping to prevent further damage. I am having twitchs off and on again ( no weakness though) and I read this is normal so I'm not to concerned. When was your last MRI to check your thoracic discs?
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 12/18/2012 - 11:30 AM
    I used to get lots of (and still get some) buzzing in my legs, especially my right leg. It feels just like a mobile phone on vibrate inside my leg!! I also get (and have had since my ACDF) a sort of electric pricking sensation that causes my leg to jump / twitch. Climbing up stairs is really tiring for my thighs, but mostly my legs are ok. I do get 'stiffening spasms' regularly in both my legs and also sometimes around my abdomen which cause me to make a sound as air is expelled from my lungs. Weird! I am hoping that all this will calm down with time. I do have discs protruding in my thoracic spine two of which are mildly compressing my cord. (That was on an MRI scan done in October 2011)

• You are doing so well. I have talked to a few people who have had thoracic surgery and it is a difficult one to recover from. Be encouraged that things are looking very hopeful for you. I know that some days things seem slow and disappointing, but overall you are making an amazing recovery for so early on. The future looks bright!
    edited 12/20/2012 - 8:25 AM
    Anelson, I can' say I know what the buzzing and wobbly feeling is like but I did have twitches/spasams and some muscle weakness off and on later.

Thanks you Jellyhall, I appreciate the positive support. :) I drove for the first time since surgery today with my hubby. It felt great! I'm a bit stiff still so I agreed to wait it out a few more weeks and see how I feel then, just to be extra careful.