Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

overdoing it post op.pain

I'm exactly three week.post op (L3 through L5 XLIF fusion) and did my longest walk yet of 1.1 miles. After about an hour aftwards I was in a lot of pain in my lower right side and needed extra oxcy and a nap. Am I just over doiing things.

Thanks fir all your words of encouragement through this process

XLIF 2-4 on 11-20-2012

• You are doing so well.

It's great to see a text book recovery. (Hopefully)
  • Took is on the easy side today and still getting some of yge stiffness/pain when I sit around too muck. Hopefully pain with my mile long walk tomorrow.

XLIF 2-4 on 11-20-2012
  • Hopefully it is just one of the step backwards days that we all seem to get at some point. We are gaily moving forward in our recovery and then over do it somewhat and soon realise that we need to ease off a bit. Having an easy day today was the best thing to do to let things settle down again.

I remember after my PLIF, when I told my surgeon how great I felt and how well I was doing, he told me that there would be days when I felt like I was going backwards in my recovery. He was correct!
    This time, after my ACDF my surgeon (different one) told me that he has patients who phone him wondering if they have caused a problem because they were doing so well, did too much and caused a pain flare.

Hopefully that is what has happened to you and tomorrow you will start to feel better again.
    Just one other thing I was told, was that it is better to take several shorter walks rather than one long one.
    Hoping that you will soon be back to your excellent recovery. :-)
  • And I'm much better
    XLIF 2-4 on 11-20-2012
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 12/13/2012 - 12:17 PM
  • Good to hear your doing better. I am guessing that it is difference in doctors and also my outcome has a lot to do with walking. I am still using a walker to get around and today is 14 days post op. Doctor has only told me to walk around inside the house and take it easy going out anywhere. I have fallen several times already due to loss of feeling in right leg below the knee. If anything other than a trip to the bathroom I am to put on my back brace and leg immobilizer. Anytime I am out of bed I am to have the back brace on.
    Glad you are doing so well, wish you continued speedy recovery buddy. You will be riding soon as the weather warms up.