Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower back trouble

Jada321JJada321 Posts: 2
edited 12/11/2012 - 12:25 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone, for a little under a year I have suffered from lower back pain, it's excruciating at times and limits my range of movement! Recently the pain has become quite severe and radiates down my glute/leg/ankle (predominantly my left side) and I have tingling sensations in my leg too mainly my calf. I have visited a physiotherapist on five occasions who worked on my sacrilliac joint (he told me I had problems with it and that is what was causing the pain) the sessions however made my pain worse and I ended up in unbearable agony! I visited my go who upon examining me sent me for an MRI scan.
I had the scan today after a short notice phone call from the department with a cancellation appointment available for me to have it done sooner. The only thing is I had taken all of my meds for the inflammation and pain and my back wasn't hurting as much... Will this make a difference to the findings on the scan and does anybody have any ideas on what this could be.?

• It's unlikely that having anti- inflammatories on board will make a difference. They will probably be looking for any slippage of the vertebra, narrowing or bulging of the disk spaces, and anything putting pressure on the nerves. I was never told to stop taking mine for MRIs. I hope the results give you an answer but that it's something that can be easily fixed
  • I had a call from my doctors this morning... They have made an appointment for me to discuss the "results" I have to wait one week as there were no sooner appointments. I am now worried that they didn't confirm no abnormalities over the phone and the fact that they want an appointment to discuss the results! :-( surely they wouldn't waste an appointment if they didnt find anything from the scan?!? I'm a wee bit frightened :-(
  • Peter BPPeter B Posts: 511
    edited 12/12/2012 - 2:03 PM
    So many people on these forums are asking for help in explaining MRI results, so you are better off by having them explained, as they should be, by the people involved.
    As far as I'm aware, they are obliged to discuss them with you as part of the deal. I doubt that they'd get into a phone discussion over it, as that could lead to a lot of confusion. So just try to stay calm and wait!
    Much better face to face.

I too have trouble like you with my SI joint, and when it's not good I can't stand any stretching etc either. It has to be settled down before any of that is done, and then only very carefully.

Sounds like an irritated nerve. My femoral one plays up, and then the is the sciatic one nearby waiting for its turn! I'm wondering if your sciatic nerve is being irritated. You can research that online, and check this site too for helpful info.

My chiro recently told me, when I asked what I could do to avoid frequent SI lock-ups, was to stop straining the lower back! Strengthen the inner abdominal muscles and tighten them when lifting so they take the strain, not the back. So have resumed my old exercises for that.
    Good luck with your results.
  • It should have been read and a report made a day or so after the mri was done.
    I was able to get my report the day after my mri's.
    It was good as I was able to research what it said, and gave me good questions to ask my ortho doc.

L4/5 herniation13mm sequestered fragment L5 root compromise.
    L3/4 annular tear.
    L2/3 3mm bulge and annular tear.
    Tens mpo combo system
    Epidural L4 L5 28Nov12 / 12Dec12 / 26Dec12. All no relief :( SO FAR
    MicroD L4 L5 May 23 2013
  • davrunnerddavrunner Posts: 478
    edited 12/18/2012 - 8:01 AM
    My Primary DR has his nurse ( a wonderful compassionate lady) read the results to you as soon as they get them. They then follow up by sending me to Nuero/ortho. The ones I've had at ortho usually will take several weeks to get an answer. Two weeks ago I went in to schedule a lumbar nerve block and the surgeon said my MRI was too old and because I had developed new pain no block until they understood what was going on.
    I had the MRI last week but won't get the results until 2 Jan due to Doc is now on vacation....
    I don't dwell on it as it does no good and just gets you worked up.
    Agree with Dave if you can get a copy you can look up the meanings and draw up a list of questions, but to get an accurate report of what may or may not be a concern you need to have the meeting with your doc.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • This sounds a little like sciatica. I don't have personal experience of this but family members have. Some of them started to use a memory foam mattress topper on their bed which apparently made a difference. This option was pursued after consulting with a doctor so do keep your physician informed
This discussion has been closed.