Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi spiney friends - so tired and dragging, how do you make it?

Hi all.

Again, I haven't been on in a while but wanted to say Hi. My surgery is Tuesday (Dec 18) and my job is working me to my very whits end. Gotta shove in all those jobs, right? I still have a lot of cleaning to do, everything hurts and I can't wait to just lay in that hospital bed and sleep and rest. I know it'll be painful, but I feel like I'm dying on my feet. Do you know what I mean?

Because my friends at work have donated some of their sick time to my recovery, I feel I need to work right up to Tuesday. But luckily, I only have a half day tomorrow because of our holiday lunch, work 8.75 hours thursday, am off friday, sat and sun and work half a day mon.

Have you ever felt so bone tired that a hospital bed seems like heaven? I come home hunched over in massive pain from all the work, still have to clean my house, do laundry, take care of Wally and try to find time for rest, which seems so rare. I can't do it after work so have to rely on weekends, except for Wally, of course.

This time, I have to take a shower the night before surgery with special soap, then put on brand new clean clothes, then do that again on Tuesday before surgery and be there by 6am. It's a 40 min drive...Lord, how am I going to make it?

It seems like a lifetime away, this surgery, and for the first time don't dread it because I so need sleep and rest. I don't sleep well anymore so I'm not getting the rest I need. Life goes on, but it seems like sometimes I can't make it that long. Then the struggle of recovery...oh, geez, so hard.

Sorry to vent but only you guys can understand unless I'm the only one whose felt this way, which I known is not the case. In the meantime, hubby seems to have all the energy in the world, which also makes me tired, but he can't seem to get housework done. I have to assume he'll pull it out this weekend and take care of business.

Being a spiney sucks. I wish upon wish that tomorrow was Tuesday and I drag, literally, myself out of bed to get ready then give me that sweet bed and happy juice.

Again, sorry for the lack of support right now but thanks for listening. I'm literally dragging myself from one place to another while waiting for pain pill time and surgery. Oh, this really does suck.

Hope all are well as can be. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz - I wish!

• FrancineSFFFrancineSF Posts: 318
    edited 12/11/2012 - 4:50 PM
    ...which - if you can do ANYTHING to make this happen, you will be even better off. I was speaking with someone from the hospital and I asked if they had any tips before surgery. Here is what she said:

1) Up until the last minute you are allowed to drink - HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE. That was her quote. Not alcohol, but water. Drink until the last possible moment. It will help the cells hydrate because surgery and medications are going to dehydrate you and being well hydrated will help the cells and everything start healing more quickly.

2) Rest and sleep as much as possible BEFORE surgery. If you go in with a sleep deficit, not only will you need to recover from the surgery, but you will need to recover from the lack of sleep. So, whatever you can do to rest or sleep, do it.

If you are in the position to hire someone to come in and clean your house, do it. If you can ask someone to run errands before your surgery, do it.

For me, I have cervical surgery, so it was especially important to hydrate because swallowing was a challenge. Normally, I drink over 100oz of water a day (that's really all I drink) -after surgery and even for days when I got home, MAYBE I drank 8 oz of water a day. So, hydrating beforehand was helpful and I did my best with ice chips.

Now, 6 weeks post surgery, I would say that I drink about 80-100 oz a day again. Thank goodness. Again, that's all I drink, so I am glad I can swallow and enjoy the ice cold water going down.

I hope you can find a way to relax and rest, even a little bit before surgery. I do understand that going to the hospital is going to be like a vacation for you - but the more you can do now, the better your healing experience will be after.

It's almost here! I wish you all the best before, during and after.
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • charryccharry Posts: 5,657
    edited 12/11/2012 - 5:07 PM
    Do you think you should get a housekeeper while you recover at home? I know it may take some stress off everyone especially those who can't do much cleaning. I hope you fit in haircut,. mani-pedi in the next few days, it may relax you for the weeks ahead.

I hope your surgery and recovery goes well and sending out a prayer now for you. I haven't been around much either so good I caught you. Sleep well. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • starsinhereyessstarsinhereyes Posts: 583
    edited 12/11/2012 - 6:15 PM
    Hiya Cathy,

Glad to see you posting again. But sorry your having another surgery. What type surgery is it?
    Do you belong to a church, or I would search around and get someone come in do your floors n bathrooms. That is the best feeling when you come home. My dear mother in law...did that for me she had her cleaning lady come thru.

It is kinda sad to think of looking forward to go to hospital to sleep. I didn't ever get sleep in hospital.
    Please slow down at work, you are stressing and that is not good for you .
    Wow nice co-workers to do that for you.

I wish you all the best, I shall keep you in my prayers, and sending good vibes.

Let us know how ya doing please
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
This discussion has been closed.