Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Transverse (not transforaminal) Lumbar Interbody Fusion of L5 S1

VanzantVVanzant Posts: 42
edited 12/11/2012 - 5:50 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm scheduled for TLIF on jan 31. I can't seem to figure out what "transverse" means. There's tons of info about a "Transfoarminal" LIF.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Also if you could point me to a thread of what to expect day of, first week post op etc.

I'm basically getting decompression with fusion. I have a grade 2 stenos of L5, pars defect at L5, little to any disc left, and obviously a nerve that's pinched and creating butt and leg pain after standing or walking for five or more minutes.

PS I'm a newbie on here and yes I read the "before your first post" thread but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks for any info.
Getting L5 S1 foraminotomy, and fusion with 4 bolts and 2 rods on 01/31/2013. Pars defect at L5, little to no disc between L5 S1, grade 2 stenosis at L5, pinched nerves.

• bigmamareebbigmamaree Posts: 66
    edited 12/12/2012 - 4:25 AM
    When I googled this, it looks like the terms are interchangeable. I have my TLIF scheduled for Jan. 2 and have researched a good amount of information. Although many people on these boards have had different types of procedures, its great to experience everyone's recovery since many of them are the same to some point. Since your surgery is in January, I would go to the January Buddies forum and join the team. Also, review the past months surgery buddies since they have been posting their recovery processes.
    Lumbar DDD
    TLIF 1/2/13