Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PLIF L5-S1 Thursday 17, Jan.

Good day all.
I've been reading the forums and have gotten some great information from all the posts.
I held off asking questions until a confirmed diagnosis and what type of surgery I'll be having.

I'm a 45 yo male firefighter, metro Boston area, 25 yrs. on. Injured my back during auto extrication on duty in 2000. Have done PT multiple times, lots of steroids oral and injections, simply exhausted all the band-aids and have lived with lower back pain for about 10 years. In June the pain and numbness into my groin and down both legs was just too much. My usual ability to find a position of comfort was gone. MRI's since 2000 up to the present show classic DDD in L5-S1. Discography last week confirmed I'd need an L5-S1 fusion on the 17th of Jan. The date is important, I'll explain in a bit.
The surgeon said the discography moved the percent of "successful" surgery from 70-80%. I'm not expecting any miracles but hoping for some relief. The surgeon says 3 days in the hospital post surgery. Is that set in stone or will I be able to sneak out after 2 days without complications and cooperating with staff?...Big plans that Sunday afternoon!
My other question is about returning to full, unrestricted firefighting duties. We do not have light duty. You are either unrestricted without limitation or disabled. I have been told some firefighters do well and return to full duty and have had successful careers. My guess is these are younger men or women, better in health, with a better chance to heal and the mind set of returning to the job they love as quickly as possible.
Being 45, still in decent shape, having served 25+ years makes me wonder if my surgery situation means a different prognosis or mind set for returning to working as a firefighter post PLIF. Am I willing to put myself at risk of re-injuring my back 4 years later after hauling hose or twisting during an extrication? Now I'm back at square one and closing in on 50yrs. old.
This is the hardest thing I'm dealing with...the question of will, or even SHOULD, I go back to a job I don't really miss that puts me at vey high risk of injury. Again, this injury is work related, so that's another factor in my decision to going back firefighting.
Sunday afternoon is the NFL AFC Championship games..that's 1-20...I'm having surgery the 17th...am I going AWOL or is there a chance I get discharged Sunday without complications, of course?
Any input from similar aged firefighters facing disability or others having this surgery is thanked in advance!

• EdgewaterdanEEdgewaterdan Posts: 1
    edited 01/26/2014 - 12:57 AM
    Hey Brother how did it go? Did you have it? I am getting ready to possibly do a fusion and I am looking at all the opinions. Not taking in the negative ones. Wondering the same thing can I go back.

Engine 78
    Chicago, IL