Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

trigger point injection for myofascial pain following surgery

Has anyone had experience with trigger point injections. I'm 7 months post cervical spine surgery and the pain is worse thabn ever. Have seen surgeon, pain doc, physical therapist and finally diagnosed with MFPS by a neurologist. She suggested trigger point therapy and I'm considering that. I'm so sick of doctors and medical appointments. Would like to hear of others' experiences. Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• I go in for TP injections every 2-3 weeks depending on how my back is acting up. They do work, if you can pin point the problem areas, there is a lot of poking and proding but when they find the spot you can bet you will know it. You will be a bit sore the day after, but it does loosen things up.

Some folks get longer relief then I do and if they work well for you, you can look to Botox as the next step that will allow for a much longer relief period.

Get the injections a few times, see if they provide relief. If so then look to the Botox.
    Fusion L4-S1, T8-T9 herniation.
  • EJM300EEJM300 Posts: 1
    edited 12/13/2012 - 5:16 PM
    I can't give advice on them but this subject interests me. I am almost 5 years post cervical fusion. I was recovering well until I fell about 3 months post op. I landed flush on my right shoulder and snapped my neck to the right. Ever since then I have had a severe pain and spasm of my right trapezius muscle. I have had therapy, injections at the nerve roots , everything except trigger point injections . The Pain mgmt facility will not do them because my sugar is too high. I remember my chiro would do trigger point therapy on my back and they would work after a few sessions. He basically used his thumb or maybe a rod of some sort to put extreme pressure on the area that was in spasm. I am under the impression that the nerves often "false fire" or over fire in some cases after a severe injury and it worked for me. I am waiting for my meds to get my sugar under control and I am getting close. If your pain is spasm like and you can feel "knots" or lumps, I would do it in a minute if I were you. It has been a long time for me, I have tried everything else including 80 mg oxycontin with 20 mg oxycodone for break through which is basically the trap spasms. When I have them , which is alot, the meds dont touch it. The minute my blood sugar is where it needs to be, I want a needle in that muscle. Good luck, go for it.
  • joanw3 said:
    Has anyone had experience with trigger point injections. I'm 7 months post cervical spine surgery and the pain is worse thabn ever. Have seen surgeon, pain doc, physical therapist and finally diagnosed with MFPS by a neurologist. She suggested trigger point therapy and I'm considering that. I'm so sick of doctors and medical appointments. Would like to hear of others' experiences. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.