Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to this site

KayleeCKKayleeC Posts: 1
edited 12/13/2012 - 6:32 PM in New Member Introductions
Hi! My name is Kaylee, I'm 28 years old and I have been suffering from chronic back pain for at least half my life. I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back and degenerative disc disease. These problems cause severe pain in both my legs. Every day is a challenge. I can't look back and say that they were caused by any specific injury. I just remember my back bothering me in junior high and highschool, but not really bad like it is now. It started to get worse in my late teens to early 20's and became severe after I gave birth to my son at the age of 23.

I have tried physical therapy, epidural steroid injections, NSAIDS, narcotics, chiropractic care, acupuncture, massage and IDET with little to no results. I am currently on duragesic patches and percocet to manage the pain as much as possible but obviously I don't want to take medications the rest of my life. My doctors are now talking surgery for me because we've exhausted pretty much every other option and I'm still in severe pain almost all of the time. I'm doing research and looking at what other people's experiences have been with problems similar to the ones I've had and their experiences with surgery. I really want to live a life where I can be active and play with my son while he's still young. I would also like to have more children, which is really not an option right now. I work part time as a hostess at a restaurant and I also sell on Ebay. I have found that I can't do a job where I have to sit for long periods of time. With my hostess job I do stand most of the shift, but I can take a few rest breaks and the hours are not long ones so it suits me pretty well. When I'm not working I find it hard to do much else, I'm so tired and sore. My fiance hired someone to help me with housework a few hours a week which I feel so grateful for but I'd like to be able to do it myself, you know? Funny, I never thought I'd be wishing to do housework, but I think it's just one of those things that would make me feel normal and healthy.

This looks like a great forum with a lot of friendly people with some great advice and life experiences to offer. I'm looking forward to hearing what people have to say!

• i am sorry that someone so young has back problems [my 17 year old daughter also has back problems through no trauma she has a bulge at L5 but the surgeons don't want to do anything with it yet as she can control the pain with simple pain killers as and when she has pain .{not often than god] .i on the other hand have been suffering for 16 years and have had 3 major operations the last one being a fusion last dec ,,it looks like its been a fail due to increased pain and other problems ..so my friend you are in good hands... there are many of us here with many years of pain and suffering and knowledge on procedures and operations and what to expect /what to buy regarding beds /handy gadgets and just someone to chat with .i hope that you will finds some good friends here and don't be worried about asking something that may sound stupid .talk soon
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    I do hope you find your time here to be informative for you. In addition to these member forums, the site has hundreds of medical documents, articles and videos that cover almost every spinal condition and treatment.

There are so many people on this site there are in very similar situations. Spinal problems and chronic pain never discriminate regarding age.

I started with back problems around the age of 13, had my first spinal surgery at 28, then numerous other spinal surgeries and joint replacements since then.

Considering all of these, I believe that it is so very important to isolate the problem and then have the medical field develop actions plans to help this. Exhausting every conservative treatment is a priority unless the doctors indicate that surgery is the only option. But I will still want to know why they feel surgery is the option? Is it because they have tried everything else and nothing works? There is ALWAYS something that will provide relief. Perhaps it may be needed to be treated multiple times or parallel with other treatments.

I could write a book on the various conservative treatments I have had in the past 35+ years. But what has given me more success with combining treatments.. For example, we combined ESI, with Acupuncture, Aqua Therapy and Tens Unit treatments. That did help. Every one is different, so there is no one treatment that is going to be the right one for you.

Being a veteran of 10 spinal/joint surgeries, I can say that they were successful. Then why did I have all the follow on surgeries? Some of that I will never know, but I can say I am responsible for several of them. Because I did NOT
    follow orders, I ignored restrictions and limitations. Why? I was young, 28, I could do anything. Now, I've paid the
    price. But I still live a happy and rather active life.

Do you research.. Like I said, there is a lot here. Go to the menu tab (not the forum tabs) on top and click on Conditions and Treatments to get started.

To help you with the forums, click on FAQ on the forums tab. That will help you around these forums and make it easier for you to navigate and feel comfortable here.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com