Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What they didn't tell me after the pain pump.

Those of you who had followed me for a while know that i am am 100x better than i was without the pain pump, simulator and back surgeries. You also know that i went from 13 pills a day to just the pain pump med. (morphine and bulbpvicane). So why am i on here now with the topic....well what the didnt tell me was there is a high and common chance that you could suffer from Migraines. Once you change the composition of your spinal fluid it is highly likely that it has neurological affects on your brain...i.e Migraines. So it is a trade off ; back and leg pain for head pains. I can say that it is worth the trade off but it hurts like hell. It too is a show stopper! Now i am on medication to prevent, aboard, and rescue from migraine headaches.

• I'm yet to use an pain pain pumps. My doctor has me on a raft of pills, but they hardly work. I've had 7 spinal ops since 2009 (one is subject to legal action), but, based on your comments, if my doctor again mentions its use, I'm going to say no. Last thing I need is migraines. Life is hard enough without adding to it.

My surgeon said to me once, "mate, once you have back surgery - fusion, the points above and below the fused area weaken and we have to extend the fused areas. Mate, you are stuffed, you will be taking pain pills until you die and you just have to learn to live with your condition." Thats easier said than done, having had a great career, great lifestyle etc etc.

I'm now looking at an op where bolts are inserted into my hips to support the spine, but, I'm worried about a pain pump based on what you have said.

I greatly appreciate your comments and I'm sorry to read about your migraine pain.
    More titanium steel in me than a modern car.....
  • LycanthroposLLycanthropos Posts: 7
    edited 12/17/2012 - 1:40 AM
    I haven't heard the pump causes migraines, but it does make sense. I discussed it with my pain doc and he didn't mention that. I opted not to get the pump for other reasons, and here is another I can add to the list. I'm on Exalgo instead, and combined with the Perc 10s it does a decent enough job.
    º lumbar spinal fusion
    º spinal cord stimulator
    º multiple decompressions
    º lumbar laminectomy
    º osteoarthritis
    º I am not a doctor nor am I giving medical advice
  • EricEEric Posts: 89
    edited 02/14/2014 - 5:49 AM
    Well since i last post this my pump has been turned up about 20%. Migraines continue but botox shots to the head and medications seems to help. I have been given other medications because the pain in the back has gotten worst or shall i say there is new pain on the left said that had not been before.
    Migraines are a monkeys uncle. (had to edit due to over sensitive people that wont allow us to express ourselves regarding pain) Not sure which is worse back or migraines. All i know with migraines everything hurts and causes vomit until migraines are gone.

Post Edited for Inappropriate Language by Sandi.
    Please see the link below-The Spine-Health Moderator Team

This discussion has been closed.