Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Extreme fatigue almost a year after two surgeries

I had a surgery in July 2011 that had me under for 11 hours and left me unable to walk but 1-2 steps before sinking to the ground. I had a pedicle subtraction osteotomy in January 2012 lasting 9 hours. I only tell how long because I wonder if now in December 2012 if the anesthesia could still be causing severe fatigue.

I can do two PT sessions, about 1/2 hour, and I take two walks, one 35 working to 45 minutes and the other 20-25 minutes. About an hour after the second walk in the day I struggle to stay awake and always lose. I am on OxyContin 80 mg twice a day, Percocet, Valium for breakthrough and Celebrex. I am physically in bed about 14 hours a day since my back can't stand to be up any longer. I often do stay up to 3-3:30am but then I sleep until 11:00am.

I hate that I can do so very little with my life, but if I do more, I need more breakthrough meds. And the little I do makes me need to sleep from 2-5 hours in the recliner laying as far back as possible.

Has anybody else experienced being very tired so far from surgery? If so, how long before it wen away? Thanks in advanced.

• Hi. I haven't heard of anaesthetic issues lasting that long. I would be more suspicious of how your pain medications were interacting. It could also be as simple as the fact that while you are laying down a lot, because of pain etc , you never actually get decent quality sleep. Because tiredness has a real impact on our mental health and general wellbeing, particularly when you already have so much to put up with, this is something I don't think you should ignore or just put up with. You didn't mention if you go to a pain clinic - if not I think that would be a good idea. A sleep study to see how you are breathing at night and if you ever get into deep sleep may also be useful. Good luck
  • I do not go to a pain clinic because the surgeon at Johns Hopkins told me to stay away from pain clinics and never allow anyone to implant anything connected to my spine.
    I am curious how much of the exhaustion is from the OxyContin. I in past surgeries had no problems with Percocet for a while after surgery and I spent 27 years on Darvocet, the mildest narcotic but no longer available. I will talk to my PCP when I see him next month. I did talk to my PT and she said she thinks that the therapy is so strenuous on my body, after no movement for two years, that it is the body's way of repairing.
    But since I hate sleeping so much, I definitely will speak with my doctor who now oversees my pain medication. Thanks again.
  • Oxycontin makes me sleepy and I'm only on a low dose, and that's not every day. When you see your PCP next month, would be a good idea for him to review your meds. Good that you're doing PT and walking twice a day - keep it up !

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • attheinletattheinlet Posts: 32
    edited 12/20/2012 - 8:53 PM
    Thanks for the feedback on how Oxycotin works with you.