Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had my Laminectomy surgery

Had my second surgery on 13 December. I am only just now able to be lucid enough to type. Had the posterior laminectomy with decompression and fusion with rods. Was planned to be from C3 - C7 initially but after further review of my MRIs the neurosurgeon did followup scans of my thorasic spine and the surgery covered from C3 - T4 so it was much larger than initially planned. Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I will update as things change for me.

Right now recovery is rough. They are trying to track down some special brace I need lucky me so I will be in the hospital for another day or two probably.
advertisement

Comments

• So glad you are now in recovery though I know you are in major pain. That was a huge surgery you had. I just had thoracic surgery and know the pain so cant imagine what you are dealing with. I hope you are now finished and wont have to endure anymore surgeries. I hope they find the brace you need so you can go home and be comfortable.

hugs,
    kelli
  • Hi bpreachers,
    I had thoracic surgery with instrumentation and fusion on T6-T7, 6 weeks ago today. I had a lot of pain the first few weeks but it did improve greatly so keep your chin up if you start to feel down. I had a lot of ups and downs which I guess is pretty normal. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Paula

• Wow that is a big surgery!
    I hope that they will be able to find the suitable brace that you need so that you can go home soon. Make sure that you have your pain under control before you do go home.

I hope that your recovery will change gear into a smoother ride soon.
  • Thanks everyone. All in all i spent 6 days in the hospital (got out yesterday). I have a temp collar for now pick up my Minerva brace tomorrow. All in all looks like I got 42 staples in my back holding the incision together. Shoulders hurt like hell and my necks stiff but nerve pain is gone and my legs are strong and I have regained full use of my left hand.

I have a photo but cant seem to figure out how to upload it lol.
  • Welcome home. I'm stil in hospital from a L3/4 Lami and fusion and can't say I hurt as much as you but am glad you're finally home. I'm hoping to be released today.

Hang in there and take the meds you need to stay on top of your pain. I expect we'll be talking over the next few weeks and I recover right along with you.

Cathie
  • Best of luck in both your recovery ! Cathie dont forget to steal some of those small towels and bed pans before leaving the hospital, Bed pans are perfect for changing the oil on the car and towels are well you can never have enough shop towels,
    I am runing low on towels wonder maybe i should have another surgery ! Git-er-done

Best wishes to both of you with your recovery and have a great Christmas !
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
    edited 12/20/2012 - 5:05 AM
    Get me your address and I'l not only send you the extra towels, but the non-slip socks, shampoo and the hardware that they replaced. Those would fit on your car, wouldn't they?
    LOL

Git'r done!
    Cath
  • Got my Minerva Brace today. Only have to wear it when traveling in the vehicle and/or walking for long periods. Soft collar is good for everything else. Should get my staples out on the 26th (all 42 of em lol).

Also
    I GOT TO TAKE MY FIRST SHOWER IN A WEEK TODAY. It was amazing. Luckily my wife was there because I had to have her wash my back. This surgery has reaked havoc on my shoulders it would seem.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 12/21/2012 - 1:42 AM

I remember that first shower after spinal surgery. It feels so good! It is almost like all our senses are heightened and having warm water pouring over our muscles is just wonderful. I found it after both my lumbar and cervical fusions.

bpreachers, what is going to happen about you returning to work? I remember before you said that you couldn't have long off work. You are not going to be able to return quickly after this surgery, I wouldn't think.

Hopefully, once you have had your staples out, you will feel more comfortable.
    I saw my surgeon yesterday for the first time since being in hospital. The x-rays that were done show that I have started to fuse! That was such good news!

Keep resting and have a great Christmas.
  • You all the best with your recovery. I am sure you will be happy to get all those staples out. Hope that you are able to take the time you need off work to recover, so important to take things slow.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Congrats on your shower. After my cervical surgery (and my first lumbar) I used a shower chair and had hubby to all the washing. Since I couldn't bend my head, I just held my hands over my face while he washed my hair. LOL

Glad you found your brace and looking forward to seeing how you feel after you get those staples out. What is this about work that Jelly talked about? What do you do? I haven't been up on a lot lately, so just trying to understand your situation.

Take care and glad things are going ok and moving forward. Only time heals these things - and our taking good care of ourselves.

Cathie
  • I had to use a shower chair too. Helped kristin in washing my back for me. It truly was an amazing thing just taking a hot shower haha.

As to my work situation I am not certain. I am active duty military they really dont give you much time to recover from things like this. I was back at work in around 3 weeks from my ACDF surgery. My doctor wants at least 6-8 weeks recovery from this surgery before I get to return to work however I have no idea as of yet if the military will allow me that much time off. Right now all they have given me is a month.
  • bpreachersbbpreachers Posts: 147
    edited 12/23/2012 - 3:04 AM
    I finally slept in my bed last night. It was great. Granted I woke up hurting but no more so than when I sleep in my recliner. Things are slowly getting better
  • Good news bpreachers, now keep up the healing and by next year you should be feeling even better.
    Sounds like ages away, but only a week!!

• We will see

The only problem I currently have is that when I am having a pain flair it seems my percocet does shit for me. I have an appointment on the 26th to get my staples out and I am going to bring this up then.

Oh and you can call me Brian lol
  • Jelly, that's so hilarious. We'll be better next year and it's only a week away. Thank goodness I didn't laugh so hard I fell on the floor. My walker's way over there.

Brian, there will be times when the percs or all the pills you can think of will do nothing for you. There are days like that, more than we like actually. As long as you don't OD, take what you can and bare your teeth through the pain. I know how you feel - I'm squeeling like a pig half the day when I move. It seems to just get worse before it gets better. But it will. It will. It will. (repeating my mantra here...)

• Your body has been through so much over the last few months.
    I know that you are probably very fit and used to pushing yourself physically, but two spinal surgeries so close together is going to take a while to recover from. You won't have completely got over the first ACDF before you were back under the knife and having the posterior surgery.

If you were in two massive accidents so close together, you would probably understand that it takes much longer to recover than if you were just in one. Well, I always think that a spinal surgery is a bit like that. It is a real assault on the body, with bone, ligaments and muscles being cut into. Then there is getting over the anaesthetic too.

You are still in the very early days and need time and rest to get underway in this long road to recovery.
    Next year things will be better ....
    Next year ....
  • Jelly thanks for the positivity. You really are an upbeat person aren't you :). And yeah I think I dont realise that I am only two weeks post op so I giess Im doing pretty damn good.
  • Followup tomorrow I think i am getting my staples out tomorrow woooo.
  • Followup went well. My Ns is impressed by the return of motor control in my left hand. It is deffinate he stated he requires 8 weeks off work. I have a letter I will be sending to my military folks to try and fight for that though I wont hold my breath on it getting approved. The military always thinks we need to return to work much sooner than we should.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 12/27/2012 - 6:39 AM
    Hi, I hope that you had your staples out yesterday. Does it feel any more comfortable now?

I think you should be allowed the 8 weeks off work if the surgeon says that is necessary.
    Surely the military will respect his advice/requirement.
    They have a duty of care towards you and unless they are prepared to allow you to be on very light duties, surely they have to give you time to recover and start fusing. Otherwise they could cause you to need more surgery and make the chance of actually ending up in a better state, much lower.

Sorry, that was not so upbeat!! I feel that you are young and have a lot of life to lead, and that you need to look after yourself to allow healing and your neck to get strong, to be able to enjoy it!

Towards the November Surgery Buddies Thread, there is a post by Pccstudent (no 279), where he quotes a website that he found with information about a posterior neck surgery (I assume a fusion). When I read it, I thought of you. Please do take a look at it.

Wishing you plenty of rest and relaxing and a Healthy and Healing New Year :-)
  • Staples came out and the doctor says everything is looking good. I sent the paperwork into my military nurse care manager for my 8 weeks convelescent leave. Hopefully it goes well. But in the military i you can't "get in the fight" you are dead weight so they want people back asap no matter what.

And you know neither of my back surgeries were as bad as my hernia surgery was. So that is a good thing that I have always had to fall back on.
advertisement