Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Medication switch after 4 years

Hi everyone, just wondering what some thoughts might be on my issue I am having.
4yrs ago I was diagnosed with two bulging discs, spinal arthritis and scoliosis. My pain management dr had me on vicodin 10/660 4x a day all this time. Yesterday I told her I was getting worse or the meds were not enough to help the pain no longer. She decided to take me off the vicodin and put me on Nucynta ER 50mg, once a day, she said I would not withdraw. Well, I took it yesterday at about 11am and by 7 I was feeling withdraws, I was up all night with shakes, diarreah, cold/hot flashes and restlessness. I called to tell her this and she said no, it's not withdraws, it's could just be side effects of the meds and to give it time then she ordered a script if 30 Norcos 5/325 for breakthrough pain, no more than two a day. I'm still not feeling this is going to work but willing to try and stick it out until my appointment on January 15th.

I'm worried that I won't be able to make them last that long for fear of withdraws, late nights on Xmas and New Year's Eve. Does this seem like a drastic drop in meds to anyone? Maybe I'm being paranoid. The Nucynta does seem to help, but the 5mg norco is not enough for the breakthrough pain.

Sorry if I have not been clear on everything, I've never posted in a forum before. Any support or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

• i was on nucynta 50mg, 3 times a day, now i take the nucynta er 100mg twice a day. it has helped me quite a bit. but i also take gabapentin, and celebrex.
  • I take 2, 50mg Nycenta 3 times a day and have been taking since Feb. Sometimes depending on the day and pain level I will play around with dosage...take one every 4 hrs if pain is not too bad or 2 every 8 hrs if pain is worse. My insurance will only pay for 6 per day and will not cover the ER. I also take Xanax, Cymbalta, Ibuprofen 800mg, and Baclofen. I hope you are able to get your medications and dosages worked out at appt.