Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Well Monday I had my forth count them fourth L4/L5/S1 laminectomy/discectomies and it was by the most painful. I have all the pain from the previous 3 and then some. I spent the night in the hospital on IV dilaudid as well as 10 mg x 2 pecocets and still didn't have good pain control. I am now at home on 10 mg x2 percocets every 4 hours and still have considerable pain. I had all the regular back and sciatic pain with additional pain around my inner thighs and in the area of my butt. The doc said that they took out as much scare tissue as they could and hopefully this would do the job but however I would need a 2 level fusion in the future and they could of actually done it this time but because of my age (38) they didn't do it. This was the most frustrating comment I could of heard considering I didn't get around well prior to surgery and that loss of some range of motion due to a fusion wouldn't of been a deal breaker for me. The down side is that with the previous 3 I had considerable pain post surgery and they ended up not working very well and I hate it, but foresee the same thing happening all over again but will now have to wait out this recovery before the subject of fusion is brought up once again. I had discussed a fusion with my Dr prior to this surgery but he said at the time it was not an option. For those that have had multiple surgeries at the same level were yours progressively worse as far as recovery pain went? And if so why is that? Anyway just thought I'd give an update, back to watching TV.

Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy/Foraminalectoy L4/L5/S1 Oct 2009, Mar 2012
Laminectomy L4/L5/S1 Dec 2009, Oct 2012, Dec 2012
Microdiscectomy and Synovial Cyst removal Feb 2013
St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted January 2014

• You actually don't lose that much range of motion when you have fusion that low in the lumbar spine. Those particular areas don't do to much movement anyway. I have had 5 lumbar surgeries, 2 discectomies, 2 fusions and a staph infection washout. I had L3-L5 fused and I am having L5-S1 fused early next year( no date set yet). I have an appt with the NS on the 16th of January. I am actually surprised that you were allowed to have that many discectomies. Most surgeon will only do two then fuse.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Well 2 of the 4 were pure laminectomies to clean up the scar tissue, I'm not sure on regeneration rates of scar tissue but my previous surgery was in October and by mid December I had enough new scar tissue to warrant a new surgery to clean it up due to my nerve root being bound up. But yeah I was just as surprised that they didn't just go for the fusion considering the doc said it was going to happen eventually and that it was borderline needed at this point and that my age was the deciding factor. It's not as if 18, I'm 38 and real close to 39.
    Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy/Foraminalectoy L4/L5/S1 Oct 2009, Mar 2012
    Laminectomy L4/L5/S1 Dec 2009, Oct 2012, Dec 2012
    Microdiscectomy and Synovial Cyst removal Feb 2013
    St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted January 2014

• My first lamenectomy was in 1994 at L4-5. The second was Oct 30, 2008 at L4-5 and then 3 weeks later re-herniated and had 3rd lamenectomy Dec. 15. I had a microdiscectomy on May 24, 2012 on T7-8 and still have thoracic and lumbar pain. Had a full spine MRI which showed herniation at L3-4 and once again L4-5 so only thing they can do now is fuse L3-S1 but holding off as long as I can.

I am sorry you are having so many problems and know it is frustrating to keep going through all this. Hang in there and remember we are always here for you.

• the last operation was last dec 29/12 .and that was the most painful operation i have ever had .the operation was ALIF fusion where they go in through your abdomen .i have had a year of super hell .i started having spinal surgeries at the age of 30 following a serious car crash {not my fault].my life has been ruined i am on pain killers all the time {massive amounts of oxycontin and oxynorm} i am still in pain even after pain killers .fusions are hard work to recover from and even harder when you have already had previous operations in the same area .the chance of success get less with ever operation .my consultant has no told me i have a failed back and it wont get any better .i am 46 and married ,.,game over ,just be careful with what you decided to do and make sure you chose well with your surgeons ,good luck
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014