Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck and Arms Pain, Weakness and Numbness

I have 3 mm broad-based posterior protrusion at C3-C4, slightly eccentric to the left side. This effaces the left anterior aspect of the thecal sac with minimal bilateral facet arthrosis being evident.

I also have C6-C7 status post anterior interbody fusion a 3 mm broad-based posterior protrusion with spondylotic component being evident, effacing the anterior aspect of the thecal sac. Central canal remains patent. Mild bilateral neural foriminal stenosis is evident. Mild bilateral facet arthropathy is seen.

I am in severe pain with numbness and weakness in both arms. Will surgery take care of this or is surgery needed?
Houston Ron

• Hi and welcome.

Have you seen a surgeon about this? That would be the best person to ask. I know that I have some numbing/tingling in my left fingers (thumb, index and middle) and my left arm was weaker than the right.

I had surgery on C3/4 and C4/5 about 6 weeks ago. I still have some tingling at the fingers, but at my 6 week visit, my surgeon and I could tell that I had more strength in my left hand/arm.

He had told me before surgery that there is no way to guarantee whether the tingling would get better and post surgery, I still have the tingling. I can live with that more than loss of strength, to be honest. And, it could still improve and could take up to a year or so to improve, if it does. Honestly, I am not counting on it.

I've seen a wide variety of responses on here and it is clear that each patient and each surgery has a different outcome. In other words, there are no guarantees.

What have you been told by professionals who have seen you?

I wish you well!
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion